Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Modeling questions

Phil Orenstein

I enjoy the simplicity and intuitiveness of MC's solid modeler. biggrin.gif But I find it missing some useful basic features coming from a background in AutoCAD solids and MDT. frown.gif Are these features in V9 or coming out in the future or did I miss them now in 8.1.1? confused.gif

1. Splitting a solid by a line or plane or by curves, lines and arcs.

2. Copying or moving a feature, boss or hole etc. on the solid model to another position on the same face or different face.

3. Extending a face

4. Separating a solid model composed a non-contiguous parts into separate solids.

5. How is the surface stitching function in V9? Has anybody tried it yet?

Thanks in advance for your answers. smile.gif

Phil Orenstein

quote:

1. Splitting a solid by a line or plane or by curves, lines and arcs.

you can do this by Plain or line and more.

quote:

2. Copying or moving a feature, boss or hole etc. on the solid model to another position on the same face or different face.

I find that I can.

quote:

3. Extending a face

Are you say like adding more hight to a boss or face? If so I do all the time.

quote:

4. Separating a solid model composed a non-contiguous parts into separate solids.

Like disjoint a solid. yep you can do that to.

quote:

5. How is the surface stitching function in V9? Has anybody tried it yet?

It works well tried it about 100 times on some new files and the rest with old customer files.

JM2C

[ 03-16-2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Hi Jay,

Are you saying that you can do all these things with V9? Or are they available in 8 and I'm just missing them?

Let me back up a sec, I can do all these things, but in a round-about way. Say I want to split a model, I would make a copy and extrude cut one side, and then the other in the copy. So you are saying I can do this quickly with a line or plane in V9?

I can't creat a disjoint body by either extrude cut or boolean subtract in V8.1.1. Are you saying I can do this in V9? And then make them separate solids?

Thanks for the tips. Yes....Yes... I know I gotta keep buggin my boss to get V9 already!

Phil

[ 03-18-2002, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Phil Orenstein ]

quote:

So you are saying I can do this quickly with a line or plane in V9?

A big fat yes.

quote:

I can't creat a disjoint body by either extrude cut or boolean subtract in V8.1.1. Are you saying I can do this in V9? And then make them separate solids?

How does this go,big fat yes.

Hope all this helps

quote:

Yes....Yes... I know I gotta keep buggin my boss to get V9 already!

Ok now you have more to tell the boss.