Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

reverse zig-zag cutting method

wfcPain

Sorry if I'm not getting something here but.....

If you're only making a 2 pass, zig-zag facing path (one across and one back) like you show and want to climb cut.... why bother trying to manipulate a Facing path? Or even pocket facing? Instead, just use a regular old contour path by selecting 3 of the sides for the contour. Then just select the cutter comp (with or without, on center, whatever) and adjust the stock for XY as a negative value to increase the step over. Select your cut depths and check the box for "Keep Tool Down" and use the Lead In/Out to keep the Z moves off the part.

Simple I think... and you don't have to "reverse toolpath", change left to right, transform operation, draw extra lines of geometry, create nci geoemetry, etc. etc. etc. When you need to adjust it, you just adjust it and regenerate. You don't have to unlock the toolpath or anything. The only real difference is that you won't get the end loops as an option. The toolpath will basically follow the geometry selected.

cheers.gif

Yeah, that would be easy enough. But what if the face was bigger and needed more than two passes. I think that "reverse toolpath" or some other way of changeing the direction of the facing toolpath would definately be a good idea to have in the facing parameters. Something that didn't lock your toolpath after you used it.

Only thing that I don't like about facing toolpath is that like on wfcPain example, some times you get three passes and you know the stock can be cleaned in two passes only and no matter what I do, I can't make MCam to do it in two passes. So I end up like Psychomill said using three sides of the geometry and compensate off or creating geometry just to clean up top of stock.

Any inputs about how to force 2 passes instead of 3 or 3 instead of 4 and so on.

headscratch.gif