Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PEAK-TO-VALLEY

batraul

There is an option in MC8 which allows to insert steps when the part is getting horizontal (for example: in the bottom of an sphere cavity).

I know that in UGS there is an option that creates each step depending on the peak-to-valley value that you want in the part.

Is there any similar option in MC8?

Thank you very much.

Thank you Zero.

Also another question. Do you know any way to make this contour surface finishing steping over in spiral? I mean without having to make the tangencial entry and exit in every step.

I though it could be possible with spiral 3D but for contouring it makes some strange things and with this function is not possible to create minimum stepover.

Thanks.

Let's try this again....... Not that I know of. I was just thinking about something like that yesterday. When you do a surface contour, the tool circles the part at a constant z-depth until it get to where it started, then moves to the next depth and repeats. When cutting a positive part, I get a "spine" where the tool starts and stops it's path around the part like it doesn't quite make it to the actual point where it started. It's not a big deal (nothung a little bit of sandpaper couldn't take care of) and is only about .001 or .002 tall. But it would be nice if you could get the tool to go just a little bit past where it started it's path around the part before it steps to the next depth therfore eliminating the "spine".

As far as shallow areas on the part goes, I usualy will do multiple types of toolpaths to get a good finish. My favorite combination is surface contour and surface shallow. I know a lot of people on this forum use the flowline toolpath, but that rally doesn't work for me most of the time because the surfaces you select need to 'form a row' which on most of the 3D surface models I get, nothing really forms a row. I think that everybody has their own way to go about toolpathing surfaces and none of them are really wrong. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. With a little bit of playing around with the different types of toolpaths, you should pick it up pretty easily. And any other questions you have, I'm sure that people on the forum here will be glad to answer them for you. cool.gif

quote:

Do you know any way to make this contour surface finishing stepping over in spiral?

Toolpaths

surface/

(contain Y) rough/

pocket/

Pick a bull nose tool

[[[set the clearance plain lower than surface]]]

morph spiral(outside boundary only)

It doesn't matter what you pick ,nothing

is really a spiral with this option

un-check rough

set max depths to .005

select surfs

chain outside boundary

This will make good surface

but the tool will still not spiral

This is the hardway

Make a spiral,or morph pocket, and project it onto the same surface.This will work.

With this way I get a good spiral routine but the surface finish will be controlled by the spiraling,and not by max step.

I get a good spiral but I loose a little surface

control.

Please post here so I can learn something

[ 03-21-2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Hi Batraul,

--------------------------------------------------

There is an option in MC8 which allows to insert steps when the part is getting horizontal (for example: in the bottom of an sphere cavity).

I know that in UGS there is an option that creates each step depending on the peak-to-valley value that you want in the part.

Is there any similar option in MC8?

--------------------------------------------------

Yes in Rough, Critical Depths or Select Depths in Cut Depths

If you are using V9 try

Surface

Finish

Project

on the lat page Blend

Along

now pick to bounding rails,this will be just like flow line but no surface does not form a row.

You will not be asked for a file like other projection.

give this a try.

It is a GREAT toolpath.

[ 03-22-2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]