Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving with 9.1

Ray Edwards

hi all... when trying to use the engraving function in 9.1 instead of using contours...... when i select the chains..... and then do toolpath only 1 chain is selected......... i do the same using contour and turn tool comp off and its fine .. anyone else have this problem or is it dumb old me

If you have purchased the engraving function, for "Chip Carving" style engraving try using a True Type font to create the letters. Then window select them. Select an appropriate style conical tool and have at it. If you are just trying to create a simple part number or something, follow above instructions.

For a different effect turn on Roughing or put a boundary around the letters or geometry. If using a boundary, you might need to enable infinite nesting to find the inner curves like on a P or something like than HTH

David,

I should have been more specific. The problem I was having was selecting the letters with window. My letters were drawn at Z0 and my Z depth was set to Z.200 When I went to window the letters the chaining mode was set to c-plane not 3D so when asked for a search point I would select the endpoint of my first letter and Mastercam would not find anything. By setting my Z depth to 0 the window function was able to pick up the letters. The other fix would be to set the chaining method to 3D. Regardless, this was all done while trying to use contour not the engraving function. I thought I would throw it out there in case Ray was having a similar problem with his chaining method and the window function. I hope this makes more sense.

Justin