Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mcam demo version + missing hasp

Michael Reynolds

Hi all!!

I teach at a community college, and am missing two sims. Anyway, I give my students the demo version to practice on.

Now the question. A student came to me today to show me a program he posted "on the demo version". Normally, I trust this student, and would not question his possible involvement in the case of the missing hasp. HOWEVER, when I looked at the nc code he printed out, it looked REAL GOOD. I don't know if the x's and y's were right, but the header and semantics looked perfect:

GO G20 G17 G54 G90 G40 G80

M6 T1

GO G43 Z.1 H1 M8

YADA YADA YADA.

G0 G91 G28 Z0

G0 G91 G28 X0 YO

M30

Or something VERY close to the above.

Will the demo version spit out code that looks that good? Is there a chance this guy's not lying about having one of my sims?

Thanks for your help!

Mike R.

Loyal and Honest mcam user

Why would you let a vaulable sim be that accessable for someone to swipe !!!!! TRUST NOBODY WITH A SIM !!!!! IF you in a School setting Then ALL your sim connections should be piped to your computers thru a connection hub inside a vaulted security room with an alarm !

Spend the money on the long cables dude!

Those sims are gone forever & you just got BURNED!

I have a V8 demo & when i first loaded it up it would spit out code like crazy & in the system configeration file/ file usage tab was totaly accessable. it also allowed me to change my default post. I could also change post from the operation manaager/ post dialog box. This went on for about a week before it froze me out???

[ 03-27-2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Mike,

As Glenn noted the output from the Demo version is truncated both in Decimal precision and length making it useless. An accurate NC file only comes from a Sim. For security reasons you should consider moving to the Nethasp. It's one Sim in a safe controlled environment that can control all of your systems. Available in version 8 and 9. We have installed several hundred in the last year, many to schools, with little trouble.

PMGuy

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

To get a replacement SIM(s), you'll need to file a police report, contact your dealer and pay a nominal fee. Techincally that is considered Grand Theft and is a felony (perhaps you could mention that to your classes) and that felonys carry mandatory jail sentencing (check your local laws), fines, kicked out of school, etc...

BTW, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Demp produces good code like that. I'd alert the authoriries. Of course you like to give them the benefit of the doubt but this kid straight out lied to you! Burn him at the stake, cut his hands off, throw him in the stocks.... ooops. I forget we dont do those things here. Just send him to jail, let him become Bubba's wife for a while.

JM2C

JM2C

Mike,

Keep in mind that the student showed you code that he claims he produced from using the Demo. He may not be aware that he was using the sim instead. He may have been using a computer from one of your other students which had the missing HASP on it. Be diplomatic but vigilant. You need to know what computer he used to generate that code. Get as many facts as possible before making any legal moves. As James said, give him the benefit of the doubt before accusing him. Ask to see the computer he used and open Mastercam. Check the back of the computer for the HASP. He may not be the one who took the HASP but knows the one who did. If he doesn't suspect theft has occurred, you may get the chance to nail the real culprit. Good Luck! You should also inform your supervisors (Dean, Dept. Head) that there are missing sims and you want their help to investigate. Hope you find the missing sims.

[ 03-29-2002, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]