Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Prefered Routers for wood cutting

Trevor Bailey

Hello to all,

What are the prefered routers by our forum friends? I have heard of a few names in here, but I only have minimal experience using Motion Master machines. Also, has anyone used or thought about using the Haas router?

Once again, this is for wood woring only. I will be using the machine for multiple fixture set-ups. About 40 - 50% of the cut paths will be surfacing.

All info appreciated.

I think the Haas router is a very interesting product. Haas reliability, quality, accuracy, value and local service.... could really consolidate a fragmented industry.

They say the little gantry router is just a start: look for bigger machines, 4-5 axis heads, etc. I'm bullish on this.

p.s. Trevor: I know the Motionmaster machines and xxxxor controls like the back of my hand. Let me know what you need.

[ 04-09-2002, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Charles Davis from San Diego CADCAM ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Depending on your price range, Shoda makes excellent routers but they are pricey. Soem models of Komo are very good. There was an outstanding router over by the Mastercam booth at WESTEC this year, can't remember who the Mfr. was though. Thermwood and Motionmaster are the Haas and Fadal of the Router market (IMHO), fair value for the price. I would expect the Haas router to be in the Mid-Range to Upper Mid-Range in quality/performance, plus you get a friendly control, floppy drive for your "sneakernet". One router to stay away from (IMHO) would be Hendrick Routers. It's not that the quality is bad, it's just the control is funky as hell, WORSE THAN ANY OTHER CONTROL I'VE EVER PUT MY HANDS ON!!!! Making a post for it sucked, I did it (with a little help from gstephens - thanks dude!) but it sucked.

JM2C

A big problem in the router market has been technical support. There may be only 1-2 places in the US that you can get support for certain models. That means flying a guy out from Georgia to fix your router in Idaho..... expensive and time delays.

That's one place where I think Haas can have an edge. There must be at least one Haas distributor in every state (or within a few hour drive).

If I were buying a router, that would impress me.

I really like the Multicam machines. Especially all the options you get with them. Has anyone used the job-tracking software that comes with the machine? That could be really benefitial.

The only reason I am interested in the Haas is, when we add more milling machines, they will be Haas. If all the controls on the floor are the same, less room for error, communciation, etc...

Thanks for the post on Multicam.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Heian, that was the router I saw at WESTEC this year. VERY NNICE piece of equiment. 5 Axis, Fanuc Control, Dataserver, RISC, HPCC all the bells and whistles. I'd get that one.

JMHO

Hi Trevor,

I work with Garrison Guitars in St. John's, Newfoundland. We are running guitars necks and bridges on a HAAS VF-4D VMC. We use a combination of custom vacuum fixtures and modular fixturing to easily switch between various models and production runs. I am very pleased with the performance of our machine and the support from Sico Machinery Co (Toronto HAAS factory outlet) is incredible!

c.mercer,

Nice web-site. It is hard to see the fixturing you are using for your necks in the picture on the CNC page. Could you send me a "blown-up" shot or is that private info? Deering Banjos and Taylor Guitars share a lot of info with each other. Hopefully we could help each other out in the future.