Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

error reading from the surface machining temporary file

sharles

I changed some things in my config. file last week (per my reseller), but then my finish surface scallop program stopped processing correctly.

So my IT guy called our reseller and was told the temp files mc uses ought to be in c:mcamx2commontemp but mine were directed just to c:mcamx2common. So my IT guy moved the file path to the correct place and deleted the stuff out of the common folder.

Now I'm getting the "error reading from the surface machining temporary file." So I've changed the file path back to where it was previously, but it's still doing the same thing. I'm guessing my IT guy deleted something he shouldn't have.

So I went into my X2 MR1 version and tried to calculate the toolpath in that (I'm using plain X2 right now), and it gave me the same error!

Any ideas.

Thanks

Scott,

I think you have copied your config files from one install to another and the paths weren't the same.

Example

Old install, Mastercam was installed in

C:mcamx

you copied your config files to a

new install at

C:mcamx-X2

All of the paths in Settings/Config/Files (about

40 of them)

either point to your old install, or an install

that no longer exists.

The simplest solution is shut down Mastercam,

delete your config file and restart Mastercam

It will generate a new config with everything set correctly.

You'll loose all your customization ( not your mouse or toolbar stuff) but it will fix the problem.

If you want to try the fix by hand, fix the

paths for TEMP, REGEN and CHOOK on the FIles page of SYstem Config

This can also be caused by overzelous IT guys locking your comuter down too tight.

You need Read/Write permissions to the Mastercam

install folder for Mastercam to function properly.

HTH

sharles

I reread your post more carefully this moring.

You should still check your file paths per my last post.

I think bad file paths may have caused you intial troubles, but if your IT guy totally cleaned out the Common folder you will need to do a reinstall.

Thanks for your replies gcode. First I deleted the config file and started with a "fresh" one. No luck. Then I took the part down to my co-worker's computer and got the same error there. headscratch.gif The file's pretty big, (over 200,000kb with 15,000 surfaces) and I still need to do the 3 biggest toolpaths. So right now I copied the file with a different name, deleted absolutely everything I don't need to do those 3 toolpaths, and hit recalculate. I've got my fingers crossed.

Could mastercam be running out of memory? Or my computer as the file got so big? I've got a Xeon CPU 3.20 GHz, 3.19GHz, and 3.25 GB of RAM.

I should know in about 1/2 hour whether this thing's going to compute.

This is like what happened to me recently. The file wasn't that large though. I got this error; (Warning-error opening c:mcamx2-mr1commontemptmpedg1.tmp) when I did surface machining. I asked for help here, but to no avail. After trying most everything that was suggested and that I know. I ended up reinstalling windows also deleting all files of MCX, backups ext. Then reinstalling MCX2 MR1. Same ERROR message.. curse.gif So I created a file of my own (solids & surfaces) the tool paths worked fine. headscratch.gif Must have been the solid model that was sent to me.

Dan.

gcode,

thanks for the offer. I got caught in the middle of trying to run 2 sessions of mc, trying to get something to work so I couldn't upload my file. So I couldn't respond immediately. It's going right now, and I just put my name on it in the nc folder.

Actually the file has the 3 problem toolpaths in it (I copied it from my main file and deleted everything out), and I finally decided to try a simple parallel toolpath which did work.

I decided to save the file as an iges file. Then I deleted out all the geometry. Then I reimported the iges file into my mc file to see if that would work.

Maybe it's too late now for you to take a look at it. I appreciate the offer either way. (and my computer says it's got another 30 minutes before it will be done copying the file to the ftp site.

Toolpath #1 is crunching now..

I got an error message that popped up in my

text editor when the file opened

Filename BNCIERR.txt

error #1 OpMgr $4 id #37: Surface Finish Parrallel

Bad end of section.

Are you regening all four of these at the same time??

If so try regenning one at a time.

Save after each successful regen and clean out the temp and regen folders before

starting the next operation.

These surfaces are really putting a strain on my computer.

Still crunching OP #1

MC cleans out the temp file by itself every time you close it.

My thinking is this.... You've got 8600 surfaces

and you're using all of them in all four toolpaths

That's a massive amount of information that's getting proccessed and written to temp files.

If just one fimename gets crossed up it all goes

poof.

Cleaning the temp and regen folders after every regen will make it take way longer to regen, but might get you through it all.

It was nearly done with the first op

and it blew up.

Error reading temp file

I don't know what to do next

This computer is a monster with a fresh

install on MR2 beta 3 and your file blew up

I don't think this is caused by any hard ware or bad install issues.

I did notice that OP for had a 32 meg NCI file

even though its still dirty so I thought I'd try

regenning it first.

Don't expect to have much luck.

Since I've got a surface finish parallel done, I'm trying to get a surface finish parallel steep to clean up the scallops at 90 degrees. If I still can't get the pick programs to generate I may pass the iges file to one of our powershape/mill guys and see if they can do the 2 pick programs. I've finished everything else and posted it.

I regeneed the 4th op.. right near the end I got

an error message about opening a temp file.

I clicked through about 4 of them and it finish

proccessing, filtered in finished up,

The operation looks OK

I think the BNCI file in the temp folder was corrupt from a previous attempt.

Now OP4 is clean , The BNCI file is about

300meg. Yo don't want to delete that one .

Thats were all the toolpath data is stored.

It all gets wriiten to the MCX file when you save or shut down ( I think)

These are some monster surfaces. I just tried to backplot OP 4 and X2 crashed and burned frown.gif

Time for me to go to bed

Someone made a comment and I realized I had forgotten to try simply doing one half of the mold at a time (it is 4 cavity with a pinch bar going down the center of the 2 halves)...and it worked (at least so far). I've got the 2 1.0" ball scallop files done and posted. And I've got the first of the 2 1/2" ball pick programs calculated.

thanks again, gcode! cheers.gif