Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

computer building question?

jer7440

Hey guys,

I building a new PC and I think I have a problem. The cpu I ordered is rated for 1333mhz FSB and my motherboard is only 1066 mhz FSB. Is it possible for these to work together? Do I need to return the MB?

I realize this isn't a MC question, but alot of you guys seem to know a lot about building these things.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeremy

They usually will work together but since you don't say what either one is you should get a different motherboard. If you get one with the Intel P35 chipset you need to decide on DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. DDR3 is faster and newer but about double to triple the cost of DDR2. There are a few boards that have slots for both DDR2 & DDR3. Myself I would get the Asus P5K3 Deluxe or P5K3 E.

If you have a board that uses Nvidia chipset the 1333FSB is supported but not DDR3 so to use the speed the CPU has you need expensive DDR2 gaming RAM.

Hey guys,

The cpu I bought is an Intel E6850, 3Ghz core 2 duo. The MB is an intel D975xbx2. I did receive an email from Intel saying that the two were not compatible, even with a bios upgrade.

The ram I purchased is Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. I picked up 2 sets of this, for a total of 4 gig. Will this still be ok if I upgrade to a 1333 MB? I would like to stay with ddr2 ram, just for the cost factor.

You have the same RAM I do. It will overclock past 1066 but I doubt that it will get to 1333. Considering the parts you have you can return the board and buy an ASUS P5KC or GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R. These have memory slots for DDR2 and DDR3 RAM and run about $170. They have slots for 4 sticks of DDR2 and 2 sticks of DDR3. No you cant fill them up, you have to use only 1 of the 2 types of RAM.

If it were me I would send back the RAM too and get the Asus P5K3 and G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) RAM. You could run the RAM you have and upgrade later to a pair of 2GB DDR3 sticks a year or more from now and get a nice boost from that.