Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

got the go ahead

keith mc.

i know i asked for some opinions on gantry type mills awhile ago and would like to thank you all for the imput. i got the go ahead to seriously start to look for a BIG mill. i have already purchased the tool holders and some tooling from an auction recently [another die shop gone frown.gif ] i have looked at the quickmill and was happy with the results, but found a used machine that would suit what i need to do, it is an AWEA mill LP4021 that was new in 2000. i went to see it and it was running and in a working shop it seemed great and spoke to their operator and he said he was happy with the mill and from what i saw it didn't have wear and tear on it. the distributer is local and the have a good track record. so i quess my question to you has anyone else heard or seen this brand of mill, and any imput good or bad would be appreciated. i have includes a link to the manufactures home page

www.awea.com/html/products/lp4021.htm

Megatel in Mississauga is the distributor for the Awea line. The other company that works out of our shop has a new one and so far they really like it. My personal observation watching it try to cut a high speed toolpath was that either it is not really suitable for this type of machining or there was something wrong with the posted code. I tried to make sense of the manual with the operator using the tolerance control codes, etc. but I never came up with a solution. Very inconsistent motion. Quality wise, I seems like a workhorse.