Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d tapered ramp contour?

andrewgore

Curious if anyone knows a way to use the 2d ramp contour and add draft to the contour (like a normal 2d contour). I understand that I could use a waterline or contour surface operation, but I don't like the stepdown marks it leaves. I could also try and get surface flowline to work, but I have to be honest. In all the times I've tried to get flowline to work properly, I had to basically create all new surfaces for a part, and still then nothing was guranteed. Any ideas? I want a constant stepdown with the ramp setup. Would it be hard to add this to the 2d ramp option menu? Seems like it could be useful to many people. Thoughts, Suggestions?

Andrew

quote:

I guess in reality that would be the same as me making a swept surface and then using surface flowline.

Yeah, kinda the same. Except you don't have to go through the trouble of creating the surface and then figuring out flowline. wink.gif The resulting toolpath will look the same.

You've got the tapered walls option in depth cuts with a 2D contour toolpath. As far as I can tell, you lose the ramp option though.

Thad

Yeah, I haven't done any of the swept toolpaths, so it's kind of a learning curve with that. Im going down .205" deep with a .8mm bull nose in 54rc S-7 The ramp operation (slotted out center) worked great, but since the slot is .9mm or so in width, lead inout aren't exactly possible, so when the tool plunges down, we have problems. I'll see if I can get it to ramp as the lead inlead out. My typing is kinda crappy right now. Got in a fight with a 34" end mill last night......it won. I'll try toying with the swept paths more here.

Andrew

Andrew,

You Can !!

Surface Contour on the 'Finish Contour Parameters' tab:

- Choose: Broken

- Disable: Entry/exit line/arc

- Enable: Spiral limit and set it <= to the stepdown

- eventually enable the Helix for an entry

HTH

Henk,

cool, I just toyed with that a little bit. Nice you found a work around for it, but seems like more work than is neccessary, but thats how a lot of mastercam is wink.gif Anyways, I ended up earlier just making draft surfaces and created a flowline operation. SImplest solution since it was just 1 surface type of thing. Hey, how do you like Moldplus? We were thinking of looking into it for all the electrodes we do here. I always figured it would be simpler for things like that to be done in solidworks, but then again I find Mastercam's modeling to be absolute crap. What's your take on it? Thanks

Andrew