Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extend/Shorten Contour = added code?

I'm also firmly in the 1 line camp.

I've been burned by blindly trusting verify more than once, and while single blocking through an entire program might be wasteful, I believe there are certain areas where a "new" program should be single blocked. distance to go can't be my friend if it's sailing by so quickly I can't respond to it.Besides, shouldn't it work in mill as it does in lathe ?

confused.gif

You might get one "lead-in move" but how many total?

I just tried using both extend contour and tangential lead-ins (separately) with a facemill, no comp on either, just center of the cutter.

I still get (3) X-moves with each way.

I had the filter on as well, isn't that filter for arcs anyway?

To me, the extend/shorten feature should work regardless of comp/no-comp. That's what the lead-ins are for. The lead-ins should be applied after the extend/shorten contour is taken into account.

So if I toolpath a line and extend the contour, I will expect 3 moves total, One for the lead in (joined with any extend I apply) one for the line and one for the lead out (joined with any extend I apply). These moves are seperate because in the NCI the first has start of contour information and the last has end of contour information. This is the way it is.

If you want to force one move extend the geometry and use no lead in/out.

The filter not only creates arcs where possible it also filters out co-linear moves, try breaking your line into many pieces with the filter on youll get three moves with it off youll get two plus however many pieces that you broke your line into.

Ok, we see that filtering doesn't work for tangential lead-ins or extend/shorten contour and we know the workaround.

Would it be that hard to get the NCI to add those moves by changing the start & end of contour info internally and then filter it? Maybe I'm oversimplifing but it doesn's look that tough to me to fix it.

Scott

Could be done in the post something like:

code:

plinout         #Output to NC of linear movement - feed

if (nextx$ <> x$) & (nexty$ = y$) & (cutpos2$ = 1 | cutpos2$ = 4), subout = 1

if (nextx$ = x$) & (nexty$ <> y$) & (cutpos2$ = 1 | cutpos2$ = 4), subout = 1

pcan1, pbld, n$, sgfeed, sgplane, `sgcode, sgabsinc, pccdia,

pxout, pyout, pzout, pcout, `feed, strcantext, scoolant, e$

if subout$ <> 0, subout$ = 0

clearsub

That should do it for simple moves where the leadout is parallel to x or y. It will however affect your ability to use subprograms.