Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pocket with islands

Keith Graydon

Good morning all, Happy May.

I am machining a small pocket with 3 islands. One island is dummy geometry that i use to force the tool around a area that is really a window. No need to cut air. I do need to machine the outer boundary of the pocket and the 2 other islands.

Question: How can I force the tool to

SELECTIVLEY FINISH any island AND the Boundary?

I want to do this inside of MCam rather than just editing the G-Code. The path also gets translated 39 times in my prog. (40 pcs.)

TIA

-KLG

If you use the finishing path in the roughing parameter, the outer boundary will be finished first, then MC will finish the 1st. chained island, 2nd. chained island...

Another way to do is do the roughing without finishing path, then chain each island as you wish for finishing. (We did this in the older versions of MC)

Hi,

Yes Scott I could do it that way. It struck me that there aren't any controls for separating chains the way i mentioned in my first post. It would be nice, i suppose, to right click geometry (in ops manager)and then be presented with a dialog that would allow separate rough or finish parameters on different chains within the same toolpath. This would be beyond what is all ready offered in rough/finish parameter tab under Pocket...

PDG , are you listening????

Thanks for all the replies.

KLG

Hi,

Yes Scott I could do it that way. It struck me that there aren't any controls for separating chains the way i mentioned in my first post. It would be nice, i suppose, to right click geometry (in ops manager)and then be presented with a dialog that would allow separate rough or finish parameters on different chains within the same toolpath. This would be beyond what is all ready offered in rough/finish parameter tab under Pocket...

PDG , are you listening????

Keith,

An alternative would be to copy the first pocket operation, use the first pocket to Rough only, then change the parameters of the copied operation to Finish only and delete the chain of the "window" island from the copied op. I know it's two ops instead of one but it beats having to reselect chains for a Finish Contour, or "Drag and Drop" geometry from one op to the second and then deleting what isn't needed. JMHO smile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

HI PDG, THis would be a usefull feature for futrue versions of MC. IMOH (from my earlier post, up this thread)

quote:

It would be nice, i suppose, to right click geometry (in ops manager)and then be presented with a dialog that would allow separate rough or finish parameters on different chains within the same toolpath. This would be beyond what is all ready offered in rough/finish parameter tab under Pocket...

KLG