Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Make Islands not Islands

Davidgil

This one is kind of hard to explain, so it is probably easiest to just give an example. I have 2 rectangles, with one of them completely enclosed by the other one. The outer rectangle is drawn at a depth of .1, and the inner at a depth of .2. I want to be able to do a pocket tool path and select both rectangles, and using incremental depth have it apply the pocket cuts to the appropriate depth to both rectangles. Currently when I try this the inner rectangle becomes an island and I can't figure out how to tell the system it's really just a deeper pocket inside a less deep pocket. Hope this made some sense. Any ideas?

You mean for 2d geometry toolpath?

I think we don't have that option in MasterCam.

You can use two toolpath for that example. First pickup the outter pocket enter -.100 dp finish that pocket complete, second make another toolpath for inner pocker enter -.100 in parameter top of stock. and -200 dp. in depth parameter. It might help

Paul,

Yep, 2d geometry. I am currently doing as you suggest with multiple operations. In reality I have multiple rough and finish operations, so to have to repeat this series of operations for each pocket depth gets tedious. I know that I can create operation libraries to make things a little easier, but it would sure be nice to be able to tell a chain that it should or should not be considered an island to surrounding geometry. Just hoping it was possible.

Thanks,

Dave