Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Grooving Problem

M. Anderson

Hello all - My first post - and first problem with MC, I could not resolve myself as I create most of my own problems.

I need to cut a groove in a turned part and for the last two days I have beat my head on the wall trying to get MC V8 to do this correctly. MC is leaving stock on the front of the groove, the cutter is not comming all the way to the front boundary of the groove. I could write the code manually, but that is a waste of time.

See file - 39466-19Firing Head Mushroom.mc8 - on the FTP site.

So 'WHAT' am I doing wrong? Trying to use tool 73, it will work with tool 3 (I think) is there a problem with the way tool 73 is set up?Why will it not cut the front of the groove correctly? Please tell me so I can understand for the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tried to add a link?

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Mastercam_forum/MC8_files/39466-19FIRING HEAD MUSHROOM FRONT.MC8://ftp://mastercam:[email protected] FRONT.MC8

Mark Anderson

PMTC

Oak Ridge TN

Hello Mark,

I looked at the file and made the following change:

Go to NC Utilities>Def Tools>Current>

Right-click the grooving tool #7373 and choose EDIT TOOL

Go to the INSERTS tab and change the total width setting (Item B) so that it matches the cutting width of the tool (Item D, .094).

Regen your operation and it should come out properly.

Thanks, N_Tydingco

OK, that wall with the big dent that fits my head must be harder than I thought!

'Beleive it or NOT' - I have done this programming thing before. Thought the problem was with the tool set-up, just could not find it! I should have known what the problem was, but I was just overlooking it.

Sometimes you just need a little help!

Again THANKS!!!

Mark Anderson

PMTC

Oak Ridge TN