Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problems with Solids Profiling

MultiAxGod

Is anyone having problems with getting their solids to flat patterns for lathe work? I can bring in certain models that work fine and then the next model I will get

SolidError.jpg

If I try to do a solid to 2D profile, the new geometry is not correct. Straight lines become angles, arcs are line segments, etc. Part is flat in plane properly. If I stitch the solid during import, it is usable but in pieces instead of one solid, which sometimes doesn't work because of where it breaks the solid.

I have adjusted the tolerance of the edge curves of solids and opened and closed up the system tolerances with no gain or loss.

All of our models are created here in ProE, so its not a bunch of different file types or different ways of saving. Some work fine. I have talked with the Engineers, but the process for making and exporting the file is always the same.

On certain models, I can rotate the part slightly about "X" and it will work, others won't.

confused.gif

if you're trying to create 2d geometry from a solid model. create-curve-slice is the way to go. if you use the solid to 2d profile option it takes way too long to process.

just make sure that the solid is rotated about its axis correcly so when you make the slice it doesn't cut through any off center holes, keyways, slots, etc.

Yes, the Create, Curve, Slice workaround works, but I would prefer the system work properly/consistently, without me having to do this extra step. Or if something in my method is not correct, to find out what I need to change to not add steps.

Create, Curve, Slice also adds much more geometry because of the broken profile (crankshaft) of the part, as it must be rotated several times to get a profile to machine, where the solid selection portion usually 'stretches' the profile to the flat pattern extents without having to rotate each extent to plane.

Again, some models it works fine on. This also brings up the point as to why the solid to 2D profile is not correct?

I was wondering if any else had the same problems?

cool.gifbiggrin.gif

from help:

quote:

.... Many 3D solids contain features that cannot be captured by selecting a simple cross-section of the solid....

quote:

....Where sharp corners (30°–150°) are detected, Mastercam fits an arc using the system curve chordal deviation tolerance (Tolerances property page in the System Configuration dialog box).....

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.... Many 3D solids contain features that cannot be captured by selecting a simple cross-section of the solid....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

....Where sharp corners (30°–150°) are detected, Mastercam fits an arc using the system curve chordal deviation tolerance (Tolerances property page in the System Configuration dialog box).....

Quote #1:

And yet when stitching it works, but breaks the Solid up?

Quote #2:

Why does create, curve, slice work then?

rolleyes.gif