Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setting up next operations.

btu44

Say I finished the first operation and I need to machine the side of the part.

What I did last time was copy the mastercam file and then renamed it 'Part Op2'. In that copy I deleted all the toolpaths and then Xformed the geometry to the new desired origin. Then I created the new toolpaths.

This seems like the hard way to do it? Any better ideas? I just finished my vendors 5 day mill training but this was not covered.

Thanks,

Barry

I like to teach "Planes by geometry" for the 2nd operation. Roll the part over so you can see the other side and select the "Planes" button on the Status Ribbon Bar. Then the select two lines at the lower left corner of your model, Selecting the line that represents the X+ direction first, then the Y+ line. The "Select View" dialogue box appears, and the X,Y, and Z directions should be correct. If not, cycle thu them so X+ is pionting right, Y+ is pointing toward the back of the machine, and Z+ is pointing toward the spindle. Select "OK", and the "New View" dialogue box appears. You can give the view a unique name, such as OP-2 (I also like adding a new toolpath group with the same name OP-2), change the origin, and select a work offset to be output. Check the box "Set as WCS" if you are manually flipping the part, leaving this unchecked should output A180.0 for a 4th axis.

I like to keep it even more simple than that. If you are machining the normal 6 sides of a part, mcam already has top, bottom, right, left, etc. If you need a new WCS, just change it after selecting the plane. View Manager makes it so simple to select the new x,y,z or type the value in. If need be, create some geometry if you are off plane and select X and Y direction. For 4 or 5 axis, just use multiaxis or advanced mutiaxis and it turns the part for you, etc. Yes, you have to put a little more thought into it when machining on a tombstone or the like, but it really is not complex.

This way I keep ALL programs for a part, usually 5 or more, in one file, not several like a lot of people tend to do. Make new workgroups with descriptive names, so you know what side, etc., you are cutting.

I always program around the datum, NOT upper left corner of the part or some such nonsense. Where the model is designed (hopefully you get files from an engineer who knows how to design properly). If it works out to be that great, but why add more variables of error to what you are doing!!

Hope this helps!

biggrin.gifcheers.gif