Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath suggestion

John Giess

Hi all,

Looking for some Toolpath suggestions on a part as below. I have rough sawed off the angles on both ends and I am having trouble getting a Toolpath that will not try and re-cut these areas on the ends. The cutout is for a 1 1/8” pipe. Flowline finish does a nice job finishing the surfaces, but I am looking to get a Toolpath that roughs out the cutouts with not making useless toolpaths in the areas where I have rough cut the angles away.

Thanks

John

axle.jpg

Use a finish toolpath and just copy it leaving stock for the times you want it to cut. Use a 5 axis toolpath and tell it 3axis output and use depth of cuts. Use a finish toolpath to make chains to drive a 3d toolpath then just offset what you need. Use surface finish contour and then make the chains using the save geometry once you make the toolpath then use a contour toolpath using no offset and use the chains created to drive the toolpath.

HTH

I placed a file up there as well AXLE JIG JG_JMP.MCX

I used a couple of parallel paths and a finish blend. file size is reasonable and the results look good, it stays away from your pre-done angles as well.

hth

Thanks John and Rick,

John, I have a few questions (If I may):

First it looks like you have select the same faces for drive and check surfaces- why is that?

Drive has 5 surfaces selected and check has 6- I am having a hard time seeing the extra surface for the check surface, which is the 6th surface?

It also seems like you have selected the narrow 1/16 wide flat surfaces on each side of the cutout, how did you select all these surfaces and only end up with 5 drive surfaces. (this is not clear to me!)

It also looks like you constructed a flat surface at the bottom side of my part- why was that?

It seem like when I don’t understand some thing I really don’t get it with out a little help! Sorry for all the questions, but I just can not see the light on some of these issues!

Thanks again

John

quote:

John, I have a few questions (If I may):

First it looks like you have select the same faces for drive and check surfaces- why is that?

Drive has 5 surfaces selected and check has 6- I am having a hard time seeing the extra surface for the check surface, which is the 6th surface?

It also seems like you have selected the narrow 1/16 wide flat surfaces on each side of the cutout, how did you select all these surfaces and only end up with 5 drive surfaces. (this is not clear to me!)

It also looks like you constructed a flat surface at the bottom side of my part- why was that?

The drives and checks all show together, they are chosen separately.

The 5 drive surfaces are all 3 radius channels and the 2 corner blends

The 6 check surfaces are the top flats 3 on each side, being 6

The flat surface on the bottom was left over from something else I tried, it has no use in the tool path I sent along.