Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Export/Import ??

FAS

Did a search and didn't get what I was having a problem with. I'll show my ignorance and describe what I'm not able to do. Trying to import two operations from one file to another. Export is fine with both ops., they show data (265K) on the toolpath line. When I go to import them they are showing 0.0K on the toolpath line. Won't regenerate either because, "there are 0 toolpath entities remaining". Am I missing a critical step here? Thanks for the help in advance.

Did you import with geometry?

If not, rechain.

Is the original geometry Solid geometry?

You can not import solid geometry, you have to repick geometry in that case

To add on to John's post, when you import an operation you have two basic options:

1. Import the operation with the geometry attached and regenerate the operation.

2. Import the operation with no geometry, and then go into the geometry manager of the toolpath and select new geometry that you want to use.

Option #2 is the one that I think most people use. This allows you to setup a machining stragety in a toolpath that you like, save it to a library, then apply it to a new set of geometry (often similar shapes, but not necessarily).

If you use option #1, Mastercam will prompt you to select a location to place the geometry at, or press ESC to accept the default location.

We do have some programmers who use option #1 for programming canned operations. They have some types of pockets and cutouts that are always the same size, just in a different position.

So for example, you could create a pocket toolpath using a 4" x 4" rectangle, and then export it with geometry.

Now when you import, you could indicate the center point of the rectangle in multiple places. What ever point you select, Mastercam would place a new set of pocket geometry and the associated toolpath operation. Then you would just regen.

HTH,