Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new to lathe programming

JaneGurkley

I'm just starting to do some lathe programming, and I have some basic questions. If I am given a 3d (.IGS) part file, do I need to simplify it to a 2d profile before creating toolpaths? I was working under the assumption that I do, so I tried a few methods of creating the profile. I'll list them:

attempt 1. removed wireframe, changed cplane, selected all surfaces, create curve slice.

result: nearly correct, but with gaps in the resulting wireframe geometry that make chaining and other things difficult

attempt 2: removed existing wireframe, changed cplane, selected all surfaces, created curve on all surfaces, deleted surfaces, projected wireframe to plane.

result: seems to work, but leaves more geometry than I need, so I have to erase many lines.

I appreciate any help sorry if this isn't clear, or duplicates existing posts.

Your on the right path Jane. Mcam doesn't make lathe programming easy.

I have broken surfaces all around my parts and end up having to rotate my models to get the full contour chape and end up erasing a ton of lines and arcs. I assume thats why you have the gaps because you have interupted cuts so you must make sure that the geometry is at its furthest point before create curve slice.

Dragracer is right, if you have solids and a fuly round part always, it's very easy to program directly from them.

Welcome to the forum!

cheers.gif

When you import the model orient the part first using xform. make sure your planes is set to D and Z. You may have to rotate around the Z to get a good slice. Usually I use level 1 for the model and put the slice on Level 2 and name it toolpath. I always have my wcs, c'plane, and tplane on the top view for lathe. If you have a flip op I'll put the new toolpath on a different layer. There should be some tutorials around to do this.

I don't have solids I am not cool tongue.gif But i get the model in as surfaces orient it in xform. That is level one planes are top D Z. Level 2 is create curve slice. I select all surfaces. Then delete duplicates. Shut off level 1. now open your chooks Alt+C and select findoverlap.dll Select everything and then hit cleanup. If I get gaps, and the only time I usually see them is with a cross hole or something of that nature, I will change to right side and rotate the part (45 or 90 depending on the parts) and slice it repeating the steps. It should give you a clean model and it takes about 1 minute after you get used to it. If you are not getting good slices send me the model I will check and see if it works for me.

One other thing to watch when using solid chain in lathe is it doesnt actually sweep the whole profile, it only looks at a section on your tool plane. If you have a hex, flat or other similar features the solid needs to be rotated so that the largest diameter of those features are aligned with the toolplane.