Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aermet

DavidB

Today I got some Aermet 100 @ 280 ksi.

I haven't heard of Aermet before.

Does this stuff move much in HT?

I think I'll rough, HT then finish after HT, rather than starting with a Heat Treated (280 ksi) billet?

Blank is 4.125" x 19" LG

Thoughts?

From what I remember it wasn't too bad. It work hardens easy. Treat it like a tough tool steel. Not as easy as 4340, more like A2 M2

I think it is a real tough matl., very high tensile strength. I made prototype diesel fuel injectors for GE out of it. They said the matl could stand the 300,000 psi they were ramming thru it. Turning was not a problem at all. 350-450 sfm .008 to rgh.

Solid carb. mills/drills worked best for us in milling. 250-350 sfm carb mills, 150 sfm carb. drills, 75 sfm cobalt drills.

HTH

We turn this stuff all the time. Our customer does the HT, but they only leave .005 - .010 stock per side for finish grinding. This is on shafts that are 1.25" dia x up to 18" lg. We turn at 600 SFM, .012 IPR on roughing. From what I understand it is a modified version of 4140. Check with your HT as well to make sure he has done this stuff before. I've found in the past that if the HT process isn't correct, no matter what you have, it'll move all over the place.