Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CMM questions. O/T

quote:

My point is that accuracy of a CMM is assumed to be better than it actually is and that very few people will doubt the results and double check themselves by using another method such as a surface plate.

I quite often will torque our inspector's jaw by throwing parts on the rock after he's rejected them off his cmm. About half the time they are good and I have to show him the real way to inspect the feature (again). Someday he'll learn though, he's only been inspecting for ten years or so...

have worked with some top notch inspectors in my time but one still has to remember they need to find something wrong with the part to feel they are doing something.

its human nature banghead.gif

dang if we could just take that out of the equasion we might be able to make some money. lol.

doug

Interesting stuff.

Nick Moffitt from Verisurf was in my little tightly packed shop this morning and he's got some good stuff....

I think his software (which is pretty kewl I might add...) and an arm will do what I need pretty easily.

I also think I'm going to need a CMM to keep the eye candy guys happy.

I think I'll be adding one to my shop in the near future.

I understand it will write probing routines for my horisontal as well.

Good stuff.

At our shop we have a 20 year old Zeiss that works considerably well, and it's relatively easy to use, and it's accurate. About a year ago, we decided to either retrofit the zeiss with newer hardware and software or buy a new CMM. So we opted to get a new Brown & Sharp with articulating probe head and PCDIMIS software. I gotta say, I haven't been convinced that the B&S is all what it's cracked up to be. I've been using the zeiss for several years, and I have a good understanding on alignments and concepts with CMM's, but it seems that the B&S isn't very consistent when it come to repeatability. I can set up a and check the same part and get numbers that vary .005" or worse, where as the zeiss will repeat withing .0001......easily and consistently. It's not very reassuring to the machinist when we're trying to hold +/- .0003 diameter with a .002" true position.

quote:

Interesting stuff.

Nick Moffitt from Verisurf was in my little tightly packed shop this morning and he's got some good stuff....

I think his software (which is pretty kewl I might add...) and an arm will do what I need pretty easily.

I also think I'm going to need a CMM to keep the eye candy guys happy.

I think I'll be adding one to my shop in the near future.

I understand it will write probing routines for my horisontal as well.

Good stuff.

Jim I told ya to check out Verisurf.

Tim I should start getting a comision biggrin.gif