Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Processor Issue? Probably Not?

RDub

Here is a weird one...

I am in the process of creating/editing new post processors for all of the machines that we have here at our company. All of them will be based on IHS's MPMaster for X2-MR2. I started off with the Haas post since it was one of the easiest. Once it was done I distributed it to some programmers to test it and I started working on one for the Cincinnati. Halfway through testing post output, I noticed that It was not posting out Coolant commands (M07,M08, or M09). I am using the X style coolant commands controlled by pcan, pcan1, and pcan2.

First, I went to check the Coolant tab in the machine definition, both check marks were set correctly.

Next I disected the post to see if I accidentally deleted or commented out something that I shouldn't have, couldn't find anything.

Since the Haas post was proven and guys were already using it, I re-opened the copy from their machine to compare, but NOW it will not post out coolant commmands either!

Next I opened up the original unedited MpMaster... still No coolant commands. I went to the machine using the edited MD, CD and post that I had distributed right after I had finished it and it works on that machine fine!

Next step, I sent the CD, MD, and post that wasnt working on my machine to a new machine and it posts coolant commands perfectly fine.

I have tried flipping every setting to every possible combination between the 2 checkboxes in the coolant page just to try to get it to work, I have also tried all combinations of M08, M07, and M09 with before, with, or after options.

Bottom line... I do not think it is the post, as I have the same issue on every post that I use, but the only thing that I would think overwrites the coolant commands in the post, is the Coolant tab in Machine General parameters but that isn't helping.

I reiterate... that it was working on my machine at one time. The only major change recently was installing X3 beta 1.

After looking at the download page for MpMaster, I see there is a version in which coolant is controlled in the post rather than the MD. I do not remember if I may have accidentally downloaded that one. But like I said Coolant did work at one point so not sure that it is relevant.

Any Ideas??? headscratch.gif

Robert,

Coolant commands can come from multiple places. There is an option in the Machine Group Properties that allows you to "use tool's step, peck, and coolant values". This will force Mastercam to use the tool's coolant value (on or off). This is located on the tool parameter's page for the individual tool.

The other thing you need to do is make sure that coolant is turned "on" in each individual operation.

Personally, I set the coolant option on each individual tool, and use the "use tool's step,peck, and coolant" switch in the machine group properties to control which tools get coolant.

There are so many places that could potentially effect coolant output that it can be pretty confusing to figure out sometimes.

HTH,

I just customized the mpmaster X2 post for our machines. "With help from the forum members of course". The first program I posted did not output coolant commands. What I had to do was:

1. Select all operations

2. Right click then select Edit Selected Operations.

3. Edit common parameters

4. Select Coolant/M08/with

Then it worked fine.

Also if the programmers are updating older mastercam files that did not use the mpmasterX2 machine def, control def and post the coolant commmands will not post out until you edit your parameters even if they were working before you tried the new post. At least this has been my experience.

HTH

Colin -

quote: "The other thing you need to do is make sure that coolant is turned "on" in each individual operation." --- I made sure

I tried forcing it to use the tool's step, peck and coolant rather than in just the operation... Didnt work, no M08

Daniel -

Yes they are both unchecked, although I did try them both ways.

Justin -

I hadn't tried this but it doesn't fix the problem either.

Quote.. "Also if the programmers are updating older mastercam files that did not use the mpmasterX2 machine def, control def and post the coolant commmands will not post out until you edit your parameters even if they were working before you tried the new post. At least this has been my experience."

This is not an updated file, this is on every file including files that I created from scratch to try and work this out.

Any other takers?

I found with what I said before, when I start a new file it works with new ops every time. Then buy going to Machine group/Properties/Files/operation defaults/then exclamation point/then high lite the Mill Inch Operation Defaults/right click/edit common parameters, then edit all your coolant ops there.

Daniel,

I see what you are saying, I tried it just for kicks. It shows that the coolant is "supposed" to be on, it just doesnt post out the M08, and it is not just this machine def, post processor. It will not spit out the M08 code no matter which Machine, Control, and post I use.

I have started a new file, created a rectangle, put a simple contour toolpath on it with Coolant ON, and then posted it but No M08 comes out, I have tried it for my customized posts, MD's and CD's as well as the Mastercam Default posts, MD's, CD's. Nothing gives me an M08. 2 weeks ago everything worked just fine. bonk.gifheadscratch.gif

Ok, so I need to retract the statement that it doesn't work for Mastercam Default MD's CD's and posts. It does, I meant to say that it doesn't work for the unedited MpMaster. This may be something with the MpMaster, I am thinking maybe I did download the wrong one, does anyone know what I may need to do to get it to look at the MD rather than itself?

Daniel -

Check your mail

Ocean Lacky! I love you, man! After seeing your post, I searched for all posts by Brett Thomas and found this...

Linky

I applied the changes mentioned and I am back in Business!

It also explains why it worked on other PC's and not mine as it seems to be a MR2 issue and the other users were using MR1.

My only question is how I was able to get coolant a few weeks ago, when I have been using MR2 for over a year, but I guess I will let that slide now that all is working again!