Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Predeformation toolpath

mark l

I have a problem, a bad problem. Our molds are made in Italy but from time to time I modify them for any engineering changes, usually everything matches and is good, but we had a mold that was on its last leg so engineering decided we would weld up the bad spots an recut it, when I started cutting it was not cleaning up in the center of the mold where the aluminum comes through, so we called the makers and they said they put a Predeformation in the mold becouse of the mold shape when it is hot it bows up in the middle, so they machined the mold on a tapper, somehow. So without the geometry I was given being modified to show this how do I recreate what they done? confused.gif

Do you have a coordinate measuring machine? If not, we sometimes set the mold up on a cnc machine, indicate it straight, tram your x0y0 g54 in where you want the programs to come from. We then use a 3d-taster probe to find as many points as you want on the surface. You then can use Mastercam to enter the points and draw your surface. It works really well and the surface "usally" matches right up. If you want any info on the type of probe we use, let me know and I will get it for you. I know they are costly, but we bought our first one and liked it so well, we now have seven. One for each cnc machine.

These are 2 cavity molds and very complex, they are for automotive knuckles and control arms, we do have cmms but this mold has already been welded in some places, I didn't know if maybe mastercam had some kind of option for this problem.

Good Afternoon

quote:

I didn't know if maybe mastercam had some kind of option for this problem.

In V3(1980 something)

NCI (#1)Create all the NCI programs.

NCI (#2)Create a progam from a 3-d wire to represent the bowing.

NCI (#3)Create a program that holds the shape(spirit) of the original programs, onto the new bowed tool paths.

Then post it useing the (#3) program name.

I am not convinced there will be an equal to this approach with today's virsion's.