Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Toolholder Files

HEED

Hi, how can I create "stock" toolholder files to import and define for my tool setup in x2? I have looked around and the only menu that I can find is in the collision detection, which doesn't help me much. Thanks

The only place tool holders can be defined at this point, other then defining them as a custom tool with the tool, is in the Surface HS paths, there is a library, you can use them only in those paths.

That's what I was afraid of... I want to define them to backplot some 5ax paths, looks like there is not a way to do it ? I am waiting on my Mcam reseller to get us the moduleworks simulation, until then, I guess it's one finger on the O'Shi button ? *edit * Is that one of the many updates that we can expect in the much hyped X3?

Last year I programmed a whole family of 5X parts.

Tool clearance was an issue with almost every cut.

The machine was a big HBM with a W axis.

Some cuts were so deep I was sticking the W a foot

into the part.

I built an entire library of custom tools with the

toolholder and 6in of the quill (W axis).

I referenced all the custom tools to files on the

network so I could use the same tools on multiple parts.

Took a while to get it all going, but it worked very

well once the library was built.

how did you save, then reference the tools to go and get that holder, and axis when you were backplotting, or did you draw the head, etc in mastercam, and merge the created tool geometry ?

[ 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: HEED ]

The tool, holder and quill were all one

MCX file.

The tool definition was "undefined"..

Undefined custom tools can be defined by an MCX file or geometry on a level in your main MCX file.

I made folder in our network and put all the files in there.

I've made an HSK holder to replace the standard holder MCX has and it shows up in all my back plots. I made a new folder in mcamx>mill>tools named HSK, then added my new HSK drawing (HOLDER.mcx) file to it and kept the same name as the original MCX "HOLDER" Now when I back plot I have an HSK tool holder on any of my tools. I also made a larger one that represents my tool hold and about 10 to 12 inches of my spindle. Again I made a new folder in the tools folder called 'PLUNGER' because of the look, but the file is called 'HOLDER', When I need to use this one I copy the file into the tools folder and can use it with any tool. Remember though, the shape is round so it is not a perfect representation of what you may have. That said, it helps me see areas I might have a problem with hitting/collisions

Keep in mind that if you define a "custom tool" and draw the geometry of the holder and spindle as part of the tool, that Mastercam considers this part of the "cutter" shape and will not report if the holder portion or spindle portion contact the material. These sections will "cut" in verify, just as if they had flutes.

If you are diligent in checking the paths in verify, you can still see that the holder or the spindle contacted the material, just be careful.

JM2¢,