Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I Start?

Hi all,

I work for a manufacture of machine tool accessories in so. cal. We use V8.1 level 1 only.

I'm mostly self taught but would like to move forward. I was passed over for a better job because I don't know surfacing. My question is how do I move into 3D. I placed a file into CadCam's FTP site (thanks Cadcam) in the mc8 folder named practice.mc8. Which surface toolpath would be best to machine this shape and why? I teach part time (CNC) at a local community college so I have access to level 3 and a machining center (a fadal) to cut alum. with. I would like to get advise or opinions. Hopefully this thread will help any other newbies like myself to improve the mastercam talent pool.

Thanks

Karl S.

Since you have access to L3 and a machine, all I can say is "seat time" to try out the different toolpath's and finally make test cuts on the machine. This is how most of us learned. There really is not a definite right way to machine anything when it comes to surfacing in most materials. Look at what is offered in the samples section. Also use the on-line help for the definitions of the different types of surfacing toolpath's. They give pretty good explainations there.

I do not know exactly where you are located, but you may want to check out Charles Davis' classes at San Diego CAD/CAM. They are really good.

Sorry if this sounds like a shameless plug, because I don't mean it that way.

Ask your dealer if they can order you a copy of the Mastercam Handbook, Vol 2. This covers all the theory and practical things you need to get started with 3D modeling and machining.

There are other learning resources out there, including those from this web site.

I agree with Trevor that there is no substitute for working on practical parts, but at least the Handbook will give you all the basics and background you need.

Also, see if your local dealer or community college offers 3D classes. A little training goes a long way here.

Thanks for all the advise smile.gif

Cadcam I will machine that part tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Charles I will get that book ASAP.

I work at the local community college and

the theory is good ( I took the advanced class)

but there is no machining done on what we drew.

again thanks to all who replied