Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

what computer to buy

lanart

I want to get 2 or 3 new computers. I've looked at a lot of the systems on the "benchmark" testing speed and I just get more confused. We do

mostly mill, some surfacing, if that means anything. I don't want to spend $10K each. I just don't want to pick a video card (for example) that I'll regret. One system I had priced up is Dell Vostro 200

Intel dual core 2.33ghz processor

2GB DDR2 Ram

160 GB SATA hard drive

DVD RW drive

XP pro

128mb Nividia GeForce video card

24" Acer LCD monitor

came to $1,325.00

I know some is opinion but I'd like recommendations

thanks, Lance

in the benchmarking that I have done.

A CPU with a faster FSB, 1333Mhz is nice to have.

and amount of cache on-chip is quite important.

a CPU that I would consider would be Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Again on the video card, Quadro if you at all can but if you MUST go GeForce get something STOUT at the minimum 256 megs card. Make sure the one you purchase supports OpenGL 2.0

Everything else "looks" OK

Opinion. OK. That monitor looks good. Some nice systems were put together in the benchmark post that you were referring to. If there are a few local PC shops in the area, you should be able

to get competitive pricing on a decent

build for under 1500. The benefits being total control over the components that could also be easily replaced. As John stated, bus speed 1st, then the video card as even the simplest surface can take some time to generate, which also means if you don't like the cutter path or goof something up, you'll be regenerating them often until you get it down.

Last month got a Dell with 2.66ghz x (2x)6mb x 1333mhz Xeon quad core, 4 gig of memory with (2) 250 gig sata hard drives, XP pro and Quardo FX 1700 Video card. I have (2) 22" Samsung Widescreen syncmaster screens 8000:1 ratio. I have not done the bench mark no need to this thing screams. Comes up in less that a minute. I have about $3400 in this system and it is worth every penny. I was running a much slower computer and I was dying on certain files. Now I have 4 session sometimes open no problem. I have my connection to the office open(15mb sec connection helps) and a browser and life is good. I did work Dell on the price this system was over $3800 when I started and I got them down to $2800 tax included. Do what you want, but I would really worry about the front side bus and the Cache. # gig min of memory as well.