Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Air spindles and small drills

Bruce Caulley

Ahoy!

I am quoting a job that has a few thousand 0.3mm holes to drill up to 4mm deep (0.012" and 0.157")

I am thinking of using an air spindle, but have been warned that they will be no good for a hole that deep. If only going 2mm deep the supplier reckons it will go all day, but at 4mm deep the TIR of the spindle will start to snap drills.

Any advice?

Bruce

Stub drill and peck the heck out of it? EDM? Sounds like a tall order...

I was just looking at some vacuum work holding from a company called IBAG.

They also make high speed spindles, and you can get them as an auxiliary mount to the side of your spindle. They come with separate drives, motors and even have table mount tool changers you can get. You should be looking at 40-80k spindle RPM with the best balance possible.

I can get a 90,000rpm spindle with a BT40 back end and TIR of 0.0002" which I personally thought would have been good enough.

I think the air spindle supplier was involved with the company that made the sample of the part that I am quoting. They had a nightmare doing it, but looking at the sample I suspect that they got the order of operations wrong and should have drilled the holes earlier in the process. Based on this experience the supplier has told me that he couldn't recommend it.

I think he lost his balls on this job and is too scared to get mixed up with it again.

Anyone else think this is a tricky, but definately do-able job?

Bruce