Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

True Zero holders

Walt R

A few years ago I purchased some tool holders that went by the True Zero name. The shank that fit in the machine spindle had a short protrusion and 4 taped holes in the face. The nose piece bolted to the shank and had 4 set screws bearing on the shank. This allows adjustment of the concentricity of the tool. I believe they may have been associated with Command at one time but I am not certain.

I have been trying to find these holders but am not having any luck. Does anybody know about these holders? If they are still out there I would like to find the current manufacturer.

Thanks

Walt

Have you used the Hydralock? It is hard to tell from the drawing but it seems the three set screws actually pivot the holder nose from the spindle axis. If that is the way it works I am not sure I like that method.

Crazy – I tried the command site already and did not see them. I seem to remember they where made by a small company and marketed thru Command. I think they may have had a falling out and went there separate ways.

Chris – Have you used the Bulls-Eye? It seems like the most promising so far. I think a collar rotates around to put the screw at the high point.

Does any body else remember the True Zero holders or know of any other similar products?

quote:

Have you used the Hydralock? It is hard to tell from the drawing but it seems the three set screws actually pivot the holder nose from the spindle axis. If that is the way it works I am not sure I like that method.

No, sorry, I have not used them. I believe the reasoning behind only having three adjustment screws is for the tripod effect, every screw is in contact with the holder. I could see a possible problem with four screws, but obviously it works for you. Having no experience with either type of holder its just the way I'm interpreting the drawings.

The True Zero does not tip the tool. It is a 2 piece design and the 2 ground faces bolt together. The 4 set screws push on the pilot portion of the shank and slide the nose piece from side to side to put the tool on center. It took a little experience to learn how much to snug the bolts before adjusting and if you over tightened them it can influence the concentricity. Once you get a feel for it they actually work well.

I think this is it

patent drawing

Walt, we tested some BullsEye holders for reaming applications and found that they worked well to compensate for some spindle runout issues that we had in a particular machine. The taper was damaged in a crash and we needed a quick fix to dial out .0007 or so of runout and the holders worked very well for this. We subsequently ground the spindle and didn't need the holder anymore, but it worked pretty well in the limited time we used it.