Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

custom tool

Santa Fe

I have a custom made step drill that I frecuently use I know what it does but I can't see it when I verify my toolpaths.

This morning I draw the tool and save it under c:mcamxmilltoolsstep-drill then I went to the file I am working on and try to to use it on my toolpath so I choose create new tool >> custom file under profile >> select the file with the step-drill tool geometry and then mcam gave me a warning that says "problems with custom tool file or data"

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong.

or what is the proper way to use custom file for tool geometry.

thanks

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've never drawn the dotted line...

You need to make sure that you can chain the profile with no breaks, branch points, etc... the center of the tool at 0,0,0, in TOP T/C Plane.

Also, you need to make it an "Undefined Tool". If you go on the FTP, there's a Zip FIle of Threadmills. Grab it, see how it's drawn and apply those principles to your new custom tool and you should be good.

When you see the X on the tool image, generally speaking there is something about the tool definition/file that MC does not like. I do wish it was a little more descriptive as to what the problem actually is because there's been times where I've spent well over an hour chasing something to get a tool to define correctly. If you're using "File", make sure there is no other stuff inthe file contaminating the definition of the tool. Nothing hidden, no rogue arcs,etc...

HTH

quote:

I've never drawn the dotted line...

Thats how the help files taught me so I always did it without questioning it rolleyes.gif but now that you said that, I tried it without a line and it works...however a solid line will not work at all(for what little its worth)

Did learn something though, Thanks AppsGuy smile.gif

Actually this morning after I posted the new topic, I went back and open one of the files in the tools directory and realize what you are all mentioning, so problem solved.

Thank you all for your interest.

By the way I draw a center line on the y-axis because that's how the tools look on the tools files.

• 2 months later...