Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 Lathe ID Undercut

my87csx481

I'm trying to program an ID undercut.

Easiest way for me to explain it is a straight ID with a shoulder, plunge into the ID at the shoulder for the undercut.

Finish pass, I often come up the shoulder face in X into the undercut, then minus in X/plus in Z to generate a 45 angle (35 incl. angle on tool) then plus in Z along the ID....chips don't pack this way wink.gif

I had no problem in X2 (or X, or 9, or 8) doing this....just adjust plunge parameters. X3 won't let me plunge into the corner undercut no matter what I set in plunge parameters.

Help please.

Edit: It won't do it if I reverse the chain to a more orthodox direction either.

Well, I thought I had a botched install because I deleted and reimported my .tools library and the import errored out, mcam locked/shutdown, and the tool boundaries still got messed up....so I started fresh, with a fresh install of X3, and fresh directory imports. This time the import directory did not error out, but still, all my id tool boundaries are messed up....not just the one I'm trying to use now. Maybe a corrupt .tools library? or just not importing properly through X3? I dunno....possible bug....but more than likely operator error biggrin.gif

Phil: I almost always use "tool width"....but I did try clearance angle of .5, 1, and 2 degs too. The tool has 3 end clearance with a 35 diamond insert, so it will do a 45 degree back chamfer without any problems....even if I used 3 degrees clearance on the plunge.

If you try to import a library into X3 and use it right away, you will crash.. Its a reported

and aknowledge bug

the workaround..

Open a new ( and empty) MCX file import the library

Save it and close mastercam

Now you can use the library in other X3 files without crashing

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this....

The problem is with the tool clearance boundaries...with ANY id tool....old, new, newly created....the GUI shows "end clearance" on the side, and "side clearance" on the end of any boring bar....this is the problem and why the boundaries for all id tools are incorrect.

I had to go through all my id tools in my library and re-select the end as the side, and the side as the end so the boundaries are correct based on the incorrect labeling. I have to do this for any new tool I create as well.

Hope this helps.