Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 and STL files

Bruce

Has anyone had much to do with saving and opening STL files with X2.

I was hoping to use X2, to generate STL files for use on a 3d printer.

However when I open a STL file in X2 all the surfaces have disappeared, and there a lines going in every direction. confused.gif

An STL file looks like a solid model when I open them as I mentioned. An STL file contains a description of the surface of a solid that has been decomposed into triangles.

So if you go to open a STL file you will see triangles. When ever I go to Xform STL before it is in my screen it looks like a solid.

[ 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: edmBosto ]

Bruce,

Start with new file in X2. Go to Xform | Xform STL and select your file. When it opens up, it will either be shaded or unshaded (depending on your shading settings). If it is still unshaded, you can press Alt + S and that will shade the model.

If the entire STL isn't showing up, change the '# Tris' setting to '0', this will display all the triangles.

When you go to File | Open and try and open an STL file, it just comes in as a bunch of lines. Using the Xform STL command, or going into the 'Stock setup' tab in Machine Group Properties, are the only two ways to see a shaded STL model in Mastercam.

HTH,

To add to what I said, you can create an STL from a solid or surface model in Mastercam, File | Save As | Change save as type to .STL, and you can view the STL with the Xform | STL command.

If you are trying to fix or heal the STL file, Mastercam does not have any tools to fix STL models, besides the 'Heal STL' chook. This is automated and gives you no control over the process...

If you want software to work with the STL models directly, look into Magics RP. This is awesome software and works with STL files. It has great tools to fix and reduce the number of triangles on a model. It also has a whole set of features for anyone who has a 3D printer and needs to output a file for it. You can generate support pieces, nest multiple STL models together for a single build, and even separate large models into smaller inter-locking pieces so you can glue them together.

It is the best tool I have found for working with STL models...

HTH,