Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating custom tool for lathe and using it

connormac

I have searched and found alot of stuff on doing this. The only problem is it talk about inserts and I am using a piece of HSS. I have to neck around a flange to do an ID face groove. I have drawn the tool using color 14 and the bar using color 116. I saved the tool to the lathe tool folder. now is where I get lost. I have chained teh face groove, but how do I call up the new tool?? Plus I need to move the too into the bore then position the tool to cut behind a flange. Groove the part then move the tool bacl to center and back the tool out so I don't hit the flange. I'm am so lost!

After you chain your geometry, right click in the tool window and create new tool, then choose type, custom, pick a file, point the system to you file.

Use a reference point or point toolpath toget the tool in position to cut and again on the retract

Look at a point toolpath for something like this. You know where you have the tool in relation to the origin. So decide how you are going to touch off the tool. If like an OD turning tool then bottom and front. If like an ID tool then top front. Your reference point will be how you cut the shape. Now Mastercam will take this into account when you set-up a custom tool if you tell it. Leave it at zero for the radius and tool radius center. Now comes the hard part making it go where you want. So know you will need to make points for what you are wanting to cut. I would make a safe rapid to point away from the part. A rapid close to part point. The point where you want to feed to for making the shape. Now I understand your tool is the shape. This point will then be at the reference point relation to they way you set the tool up. One the point toolpath you have the G0 and the G1 so it will be G0 on the first two points and then it will be g1 on your third point. Then it can be G1 back to the point or G0 however you want it. Then G0 to your clearance. On the point Toolpath you can also use the Ref points.

HTH