Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Program names

JPensack Acker Drill

I am currently in the process of re programming all of our parts in Mastercam. Our current programmer has been programming our machines for over 25 years. He has programmed all of them manually. We are a company that makes drilling rigs and tooling. We have well over 15,000 different parts that are programmed, and they are all our engineered parts, therefor most likely I will program them. His system entails naming the by letters and numbers, such as B15 and all other possible combos. For a 2 op the programs will be B151 and B152. MC will only let me put in numbers and I don't want to have to hand edit anything once I get going. My question is can I have it put another letter other than the O#### or should I start renumbering my new programs from O0001 up to O9999. I am 23 and just got my degree in manufacturing engineering, so while programming I will be analyzing our processes and other such things. Therefore as little confusion as possible such as reposting code and remembering the program letter and number is necessary. So I'm assuming over the next 30 years I'll see over 10,000 parts. So when this O9999 is reached how should I attack this. OR should I cross that bridge when it comes. If I do O0001 for 1st ops and O0002 for 2nd ops it will come even sooner.

Sorry about the long explanation but I'm just trying to plan for the future. So if anyone has any ideas or past experiences it would be appreciated. Thank You.

MC Program Names and NC File names and program numbers are 3 different things.

I would use his naming convention and use program numbers for the programs that go in the machine.

All the program numbers could be O0001,O0002 etc.

Example

code:

File Name B12345-Rev-151-OP1.MCX, NC Program Name B12345-Rev151-OP1.NC # inside NC Program O0001 

File Name B12345-Rev-151-OP2.MCX, NC Program Name B12345-Rev151-OP2.NC # inside NC Program O0002

So if an operator/setup guy went to the send/receive computer to load a program he would look by part number not program number. Likewise Setup Sheets/ToolLists would reflect part numbers first and then program numbers second.

Good Luck and HTH

The only time you'll have a conflict when two programs have the same O#### is when that program # is already loaded in your machine.In the majority of machines I've run. 8000-9999 are pretty much write protected and O0001-07999 not. You can enable 8000 and 9000 #'s but 7999 programs are plenty, easy enough to change # if you've got that # loaded in machine already.

HTH

Regards

robh

Thank You for your input. i am going to try using our part numbers for the program name. And use O1000 and O2000 respectively for 1st and 2nd ops. right now our one machine will take the program name B158776-00-1. The books both say the same thing as far as a program name can have up to 16 alphanumeric characters and it must start with a letter. But on our OSP700L's its giving me a "5000 MSDOS ERROR 6" alarm. I think this may have something to do with a parameter number such as the number of bits allowed. But not sure.

iowa is correct, 3 different things,

they are linked and can be different, but you will need some method of identifying the links between them, ie a database (DB)

colin, the naming convention you specify does work (kudos) and a few shops in my area do the same.

However we are a Job Shop and our customers have an infinite # of methods to identify parts, dwg's etc. very hard to implement naming conventions (noted in other posts above) to keep the system cohesive.

The various customer systems sometimes collide when using the system above unless you include the customer name, creating very long file names

(cumbersome from a remote dnc request).

We use a DB to assign/control prog#'s for each machine and operation.

using the DB and a DNC network have an infinite # of programs per machine and a simple dnc request and save based on mach# and prog#.

jm2c

quote:

But on our OSP700L's its giving me a "5000 MSDOS ERROR 6" alarm. I think this may have something to do with a parameter number such as the number of bits allowed. But not sure.

Okuma ?

Are you tranferring files by floppy using "MSDOS" ?

If yes, name format is 8.3

anything over 8 characters changes output from "X123456789.MIN" to "X123456~1.MIN"

when loading onto m/c

and errors if saving onto disk

it uses an old DOS "command.com" structure to copy the files

If using "PIP" or "DNC" your 16.3 character string appies

Our filename strategy

X123456A.MIN

X = unproven, operator changes prefix after prove-out to M=mill T=lathe W=wire

123456 = job #

A = operation sequence

( use all 8.3 character spaces for number ordering/sorting in the windows backup system )

if using PIP

-inside the NC file 1st line is $filename.min%

if using another method ( DNC / floppy / USB )

-no name

These machines come with "PIP" , this is only a program transfer application for smaller files,

and can be done with any PC and a comm. application as long as settings are correct, using RS232, 25 pin serial connectors and ( I think ) about 4 wires connected

If runnung large files that cannot load into "bubble memory" , the DNC option should be considered

I'm current assisting someone with the same sort of problem

See

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68676

and

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72766