Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Automatic Windows Update took down PC

FP1

Thursday night when I left work I did a shut down and the PC said installing updates, do not turn off your computer. When it was done I turned off the monitor and went home. Friday morning the PC won't start The windows loading screen comes up but that is as far as it gets. Did a hard reset and same thing. Turns out the update corrupted one of the hard drives in the raid arrangement. Luckily there wasn't anything on the raid yet. Took out the bad hard drive and she came back up. Did anyone else have any problems with this last Windows update?

Did you try starting in safe mode? Try system restore? Is it RAID 1 or RAID 0? It kinda sounds like you have a RAID 1 mirror setup and the boot drive went bad. Remove it and the system defaults to the mirror and your running.

But you also said you had nothing on the array so you have 3 drives, a boot and an array? If a drive goes bad it can keep windows from starting. The start up window with the "blue marching ants" is when Windoze is configureing the drives, RAM, video card and is where XP would normally lock up with a bad drive. I bet it wasn't the update but coincedance.