Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

US Drill point angles?

DavidB

Question for you US guys.

What drill point angle is most common.

I'm constantly getting drill point modals from the US at 120°.

Carbide drills down here are 140°,150° for pilots and HSS are 130°.

So below is what I have to go through each time to change a drill point angle banghead.gif

quote:

Technically there is no problem, but then all of us including you will have to jump through the hoops to get the change approved by our change board.

They are going to want to see substantial evidence that the change is necessary…..like cost savings or schedule impact.

You need to submit an ECPR to procurement and the change board needs to approve any produceability changes.

Any way is odd that your drill points are 140 degrees….our drill points are 118-120 degrees

"Standard" is kind of a loaded word here David. When I was in School, a "standard" HSS drill had a 118° point...

As technology has advanced, I see 130°, 135°, and 140° split point drills.

Most NC Spot drills are 90° or 120°...

Bottom line is that 118° is an old standard.

What drills are you using? I prefer Guhring or Hamm if I can spend the coin...

HTH,

All the JSF work Im getting they specify drill point angle on the drawings. Our internal inspection want let it pass, because its not to drawing. So I have to raise a ECPR for every drill point that is dimensioned. We do 100% inspection so NO it has to be right to drawing to get a First Articale.

I have pleded with them (Goodrich) that 118 - 120 degree drill point is NOT standard.

They say it is, I'm sure they have never bought a drill just some xxxx design engineer thinks 118° is still used in this day and age.

Yes when I was an apprentice you learn 118° for a HSS drill point to gring by hand.

I use Titex, Guhring, Iscar and Sandvik drills NONE make a 118 - 120° drill point.

90% being solid carbide with TSC.

Send them pages from the tooling catalogues and ask them to point out the drills that are 120.

We had the same thing with JSF stuff. You could 90% tell that the catia jockeys were either old school types bootstrapped into the software, or noobs straight out of uni with no real depth of manufacturing experience. Either way some of the stuff that made it into a model... cuckoo.gif

Almost a stereotypical complaint, but I don't think I am too far off.

Do you have any contact with that projects programme co-ordinator? Might be the only way to get a systemic change in the design office???

Bruce

David....if your using a "HighSpeed" drill here then we are looking at 118 to 120 deg...but nobody uses them anymore in production shops....ask your customer if they want to pay the extra time to use highspeed drills to do the job cause its going to take longer to make their specifications. Your suppliers, nor do any other north american suppliers have carbide grades and you wont be able to make their tight deadlines with the amount of time they are wasting by getting you to submit the ECPR form externally when all can be done internally.

Using Highspeed Steel is no longer Economically Viable

Better yet.....get them to supply the tools for you wink.gif as these are custom tools now ....lol