Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Speed Rough Gouged

ERIC14779

The X3 MU1 High Speed Rest Rough gouged my part even with 0.050" stock to leave I was using a solid for starting stock (not a simple rectangular block).

WTF !!!

on an area about the size of my palm on a mold 32" x 37" x 14" tall.

Is this a problem with the High speed toolpaths ??

Verify looked Great !!!! part ended up not so much.

Eric,

On your retracts are you using Full Vertical retract or minimize retract?

I always use Maximum, there are various machine conditions that backplot/verify can not replicate that may result in gouges. I have also had conditions that CNC could not replicate or see but clearly on the machine resulted in gouges, I wound up using a Surface Rough Pocket instead, which did not gouge.

kind of looks like your machine may be dog legging on its rapid retracts from incremental heights.. some machines cant do a straight rapid move so they do what is called a dog leg and thus u get a gouge in the part even though it shows straight rapid in your backplot..only way around this is force your rapid to a height above your workpiece or map your rapids in your post to output linear feedrate moves instead of G00 rapid moves..

good point g code.. been a while since I used the surfacing side of mastercam .. mostly use the 2d options now for we have a seat of Work NC I use for most of my 3D milling options..down to only one CNC guy (me) and now I have learned to use the work nc and its pretty slick but for on the fly editing mastercam cant be beat in my mind..always have a need for it and the 3d side is good too but just using new toy available to me for the time being..lol.. wish work nc had a forum like this one but to no avail.. but this forum has and always will rock..

Ok guys here is what I found:

first these were constant Z Rough and finish high speed toolpaths. No rapids just around and step down and around and down again... and again....

I was using a imported Solid ( .X_T ) from SW 2007 that did have some "issues" (faces sticking out like untrimmed surfaces)

When I created Surfaces from Solid faces to do some pencil toolpaths they were cutting in to the finished surfaces. (from the solid)

So I started thinking maybe the solid was creating a bad toolpath (too far out)

So I used the surfaces that I created from the solid faces with standard contour surface finish and re cut the bad area and ..........

All is good everything cleaned back up. biggrin.gif

only thing I can figure is that there was something wrong with the Solid ???

Gcode

No both rough and finish from the SOLID were bad.

Surfaces from solid face were GOOD.

I refinished using the Surface from solid face and the surface cut proper.

they look congruent on the screen but the solid cut further OUT and the surface cut IN where it should.

headscratch.gif

kind of scary what if the solid cut the other way ???

eek.gif

the address is right..

a 15 meg email is pretty big..

Some ISP's will take one that big others won't.

All you can do is try..

You can also upload it to the ftp and email

qc with the filename and desription of the problem.