Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MX2 and SW

EazyE

I am trying to import some Keycreator files into SW and wondering what the best file association would be to use. I want to have the most information possible come in to Sw with the file. ie - 2d drawings as well as solids notes and dims. Hopefully this is possible if there is to much involved in transfering all the Keycreator files than management might say forget it and not use SW. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............

Eazy, I would suggest you work with your local reseller on the best way possible. It sounds like your are looking to migrate older files or many files eventually to SW. They may be able to help you automate the process via macros or batch file programming assistance once you figure out what you want and need.

I guessing but would suggest to back up your files and simply try pulling some test parts over using the various means (dxf, dwg for drawings, parasolid X_t & STeP for solids). I'm currently on SW 09 and they still have the menu option there for Cadkey.prt files and cadkey.ckd files.

Have you tried any of these options?

Bradst - I did exactly that, to run some tests and with the Dxf file I was able to import and open the paper drawing with dims and notes witch is half the battle. As for the parasolid x_t and Step files they open correctly and all solids seem to be fine but I cant seem to dimension anything. What I am looking for is perhaps a way to import a file and have the dims on the paper print auto update to a change in the part file. Keep in mind that I have very little exp in SW only about 3 wks worth of playing and some tutorials.

quote:

What I am looking for is perhaps a way to import a file and have the dims on the paper print auto update to a change in the part file.

Erik,

To the best of my knowledge, ain't gonna happen.

SW's will certainly import all of the data but asking it to maintain ANOTHER company's parametric file, I don't believe is going to happen.

There isn't a software out there that does what you're looking to do, AFAIK

Yep, what they all said =)

Sounds like it's time to ask management to step up to the plate and go for SW if as Jason mentioned above your looking for true parametric design. Also, you have to look into the design intent of what you are trying to do that if the new dimensions you want are NOT defined already in a current print you won't automatically get them on an update to the part file.

Just a thought, if your currently using mainly 2d prints to drive a lot of parts and the features are common I'd suggest you may want to look into driveworks in SW. SW 2008 & 09 come with the express version with the license, take a look at their examples to see if it may apply to your products and may help or not.

http://www.driveworksxpress.com/

Good luck.

Brad