Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL file in wrong location

Jason B.

Every time I create an STL file in my CAD software and bring it in to MX3 it is not in the proper position. I had an A-plate that was just a square block with 4 square inserts in it with XYZ zero being in the center of the plate. When I bring it in to Mastercam for use in verify, it always goes to .250 off the far lower left corner for X and Y zero. It is correctly postitioned in my Cad system and 3D is turned on when outputting. Anyone else having this problem or know what might be causing it? I have looked through the options for exporting and importing but don't see anything wrong.

Thanks,

- Jason

To give you a point in the right direction.

Have a look at your "System Config" under "convertors".

There is a section about how exported STL files are handled regarding the origin.

-you can select :- local or World

Jrygus suggests going back to TOP, which is the same as having World as the default

Depending on which cad system you are using

you can export STL and solid models in any orientation you like. SolidWorks has a feature called Co-ordinante system that is like Mastercam's WCS.. You can create them and aplly them to models when you eport them.

When you bring them into Mastercam they land the way you defined them in SolidWorks

OK. Figured it out. It was indeed my CAD software not Mastercam. It has an option to "transform vertices into the positive quadrant" Which was checked on. I need it to do this for the files that I send to the prototypers and didn't really realize what it was doing to my file until just now. bonk.gif

Thanks for the replys and help guys.

- Jason