Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse Engineering

Mark H

I just got an email from my Mastercam and Solidworks reseller about a product called RevWorks. They are having a seminar in a few weeks and I'll probably go, but it started me thinking, how does one go about reverse engineering a complex 3D part, like a mold. (Also when the customer is of little help and supplies you with a 2D part print that doesnt have enough dimensions on it to draw a line.) In the past we have CMMed parts here and even had some more complicated molds sent out to be laser scanned, but we always spend weeks cleaning up the data. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or suggestions about which software to use?

[ 07-09-2002, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

Talk to Braxton P. Carter at HiRes in Lajolla(sp?) CA. Tell him you want to reverse engineer molds, tell him the tolerances you expect, and sit back and listen.

His software ties many modern portable CMM's directly to Mastercam.

Tell him Jim Hale sent you.

JAMMAN - Thanks, However I did a search on the internet and could not find this company. Do you have any contact info?

Cadcam - RevWorks is a Solidworks addon. The only info I have on it says that it will reverse engineer parts and put them into solids.

Mark, some more info on RevQuick can be found at www.QTEcad.com. RevQuick is Geomagic Ver 2 at a big discount, from full blown Geomagic.

RevQuick will take point cloud data and give you edit and filter tools. A plus is that it will output an STL file that you can cut direct in Mastercam. So you could, within hours, have roughing toolpaths. Then, refine the data and create surfaces. RevQuick will output a watertight IGES surface file that you can import anywhere.

Jim

JAMMAN I had forgotton about this company.

Thay have been coming to some of the MC User groups we have out here.

I have a few customers that have used them.

Also MarkH really try looking at requick to.

[ 07-11-2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]