Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Filtering curves on solids

Chuckles (I loved that movie "Shakes the Clown")

anyways...

Is your curve a Spline or an arc?

You can convert the spline to an arc.

Or make one, create arc/tangent?/dynamic then grab The endpoint and swing it to the other endpoint.

Sorry, I was pretty vague on the description. I am referring to a curve generated by using the "create curve one edge" on a 3D iges surface model. I was told that is the only way to do a profile on a surface model is to create a curve to chain on the profile, but when I do that (for a 2D profile) I squash the curve, and run a contour on it, but it then is not a simple radius on corners, it is a series of flats so the code gets huge when posted. I saw the filter in use at training (I haven't been using the software for long)but when I try to use it, it won't filter out the small linear moves and convert into a simple radius. In my case re-creating the curves as a radius manually would take forever since there are so many profiles on the model I am working on. Is this a function of the filter, or is there another way around it?

Chuckles,

You can use the Filter settings in the 2D Contour operation, found under the Lead In/Out button. I usually adjust my Tolerance in the Filter to be about double the Linearization tolerance on the Contour Parameters page, like Linearization tolerance at .001" and the Filter tol. at .002". I also boost my Filter look ahead variable to read 1000 lines instead of 100. Both of these settings should replace more lines with arcs for the contour. I reduced a contour on an Ellipse from 79 lines (1280b) w/o Filter, to 31 lines (560b) with Filter. HTH biggrin.gif

Im my experience, when generating curves from a surface model, what you get are splines, not arcs or lines. After creating the splines, go to Modify, Conv to Arcs, All, Splines and this will convert all of the splines to arcs and lines that the software can. If you have V9, you can also stitch the surface model to a solid, then create the curves from the solid and they will be arcs and lines where there are arcs and lines on the solid. This is one of the best features in V9.