Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

200 series nickel thin wall lathe?

mold100

I recieved an rfq from a potential new avenue and no one wants to touch these parts. 200 nickle (no experience) and round aprox 3/4 long .520 dia with a thru hole of .49 +/- .002. i was looking to have them extruded 1 in 12 suppliers quoted it. Can this be turned? i do not have a cnc lathe but..........would be motivated into one possibly if this could be done.

I am wondering if it would be possible to finish the id, part them finish length then use some sort of expansion arbor to turn the OD.

Thanks in advance.

[ 05-27-2009, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: mold100 ]

200 nickel moves around a lot. I had some plates about 5in square .050 and .036 thick. Tried some different milling techniques and they all curled. Even tried grinding it. I finally got it by roll milling it to thickness and then wiring it out. It had a mirror finish and was easy to drill and tap then.

The customer was using it because of the magnetic properties so the work hardening from the roll mill was fine and made it easier to deal with.

You probably try a combo of lathe and wire in your case.

HTH

Matt

If you were making that part from some 'normal' material then I would say: face, drill, bore, cutoff and then transfer to some kind of full-contact ID gripping fixture [Dunham arbor, hydraulic mandrel, etc] and: face, turn the OD, chamfer the bore.

We turn stuff thinner than that all day long, so it it certainly acheivable, but don't cheap out on the workholding