Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

prototrak mx2 continuous mill

mekamill

Hello and thanks for looking. I am pretty new to mastercam, but I have been given the task of setting it up at the robotics company I work for. The problem I am having is that once I generate the g code, the program will not run on the mill because either:

1. "error: conrad between two events which are non connective"

2. "error: impossible to define the arc with the start, end and center given."

I feel as though these stem from the fact that the g code has four decimal precision but the mx2 only has three (half a thousandth). Maybe that explains #2 better and the fact that the start of event 2 (say) is set to be the the end of event 1 with a 0.0 CONRAD is the explanation for #1. I confirmed this by manually manipulating the g code.

If anyone has any info on how I might resolve these issues I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

Andy

I have found in my limited experience that 'roll cutter around corners' is a problem for ProtoTRAK controls; as are lead-in, lead-out arcs. Both of these have given me the first error you posted. If you make the toolpath as simple as possible, the machine will be happier.

I also do not suggest using Depth Cuts in an MX2; just post the toolpath once and then do a Repeat in the machine.

I'm sure that there are better posts than the one I use, which may eliminate some of these problems, but I don't post for my ProtoTRAKs enough to really care about it.

C

Cool Harmonic Drives huh? We use those all the time. Great product. Thanks for the advice. Rarely are the parts we make complicated enough to require mastercam, usually conversational works, but the boss wants mastercam going. maybe a new controller is in order.

A couple things:

Q1: what version of mastercam? (V9,X,X2,X3,X4..)

Q2: what specific proto control?

(...looks like the MX2, rite?....amber screen, 2 axis control on a kneemill?)

when you make milling ops do like Chris says, and additionally:

- always set comp type to Control

- make lead in/out line at least equal to radius of the cutter (i.e. program w/ 1/2" endmill,

lead in line .25" lg..)

with comp set to control the corner rolling is supressed & becomes a non-issue

Make sure you have the latest version of software installed. It is available on the Southwest Industries website.

There is now a "post request" feature at the top of the Forum page.

I'm not sure it works in MX2, but I believe you can change the resolution to .0002 by entering Service Code 70. SC 68 will change it back to .0005. I know it works in MX3.

Mike S. is correct about the lead-in/out. Be aware that that situation also applies to any move in the program less than half the cutter size, unless comp is turned off.