Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks to X4

PeterDnz

Woodwork Forum seems dead so I've posted here hoping to get some feedback.

We own Router Level 1 no solids. We design in SW and export .dxf to X4.

We are evaluating solids nesting/routing software that runs inside SW.

We are also trying to evaluate the options available to us if we stick with Mastercam.

We want to be able to nest the solid entities from SW. Will ATP help with this? Mastercam for Solidworks?...

What's your advice?

Peter.

I do all my design work in SWorks so I totally

understand the attraction.

Have you tried Mastecam's nesting upgrade?

I've never used it myself.. it ma not be an

improvement on what you're already doing in SWs

How are you controlling the orientation between

SW and MC?

Are you using MC's WCS, SWs Coordinate Systems

Xforming your import into proper orientation??

Given your seat on MC ( Level 1 no solids)

its sounds like you have things pretty well in hand.

We've got 2 x SW seats so we really must make the most of SW for design.

We bought Nesting with Mastercam V9 but have really only used it to nest wireframe geometry as you noted.

At present the SW operators create CAM layouts especially for opening in X4.

That's one of the main reasons for wanting to move to nesting solids. To eliminate the need for the wireframe layout.

It's all basic parts, nothing special, but holes, rebates and other features are already there in the SW file so it would be great to be able to nest them.

I feel like we've been doing things the hard way, converting to dxf etc.

I've heard ATP may be an answer to this. Do you know about that?

quote:

I've heard ATP may be an answer to this. Do you know about that?

No its a router specfic application and I have

no experience with it.

If you are applying the same toolpaths over and over to similar parts, its sounds like an ideal

situation for FBM.

I can answer some of these questions.

Xform Nesting and ATP both deal with Wireframe geometry, not solids.

If you can find a solids nesting package, that would create a file containing nested solids, this may be a good way to go.

The only problem with doing that is that you can't change your mind on the fly. You are creating a specific set of nested parts that still need to be toolpathed.

So you add 5 of part A, 3 of part B, 10 of part C.

Now after you get it all nested and start the toolpathing, your customer calls and asks for 2 more of part B. You have to re-nest the sheet...

Personally I'd use Solidworks for building part and assembly models. Then use Feature Based Milling like Gcode suggested to toolpath individual parts.

Then use Toolpath nesting to cut your nests.

What kind of parts? How complex are the shapes? How accurate do you need the parts to be? How long are you prepared to wait for the Nest to process (you can set really tight parameters that take a long time to process)?

As far as I know, all nesting options apply only to wireframe geometry.

Trueshape nesting allows the system to rotate the chains to obtain the best fit possible. Without Trueshape nesting, you are limited to rectangular nesting only. That is the only difference between the two nesting types...

The best bet is to nest toolpaths.

You can even program a part from two sides, Top and Bottom, and Mastercam will keep the toolpaths oriented properly as you nest. This allows you to have one program origin for the top sheet, flip the sheet, set the origin for the second side, and all the toolpaths are still registered properly.

Thanks for the feedback Colin.

"Solidnest" handles the solid nests and can be re-tasked to suit required quantities of individual. The Router toolpaths are somewhat limited but that probably stems from Plasma/Oxy cutting origins of the software. We are still evaluating it.

As far as nesting toolpaths goes, I've just started using that as opposed to geometry nesting and toolpathing the nests. I think if we stick with Mastercam that's how we'll do it, with or without FBM.