Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2007 MORI NH-4000 Control make and model

Slixmix

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

When did Mori start using Mitubishi?

LONG time ago. Back in the mid-late 90's.

They did it for a couple of reasons. Primary reason - cost. Mori Seiki was (and maybe still) the number one user of FANUC controls. Mori wanted better pricing, more options, etc... and FANUC said pound sand. Mitsubi$#it said we'll negotiate price, options, etc....

This is THE reason they wanted to create their CRAPPS interface. They did not want you to know what control you have. In their eyes it does not matter. In my eyes it was bs.gif and I was not happy about trying to decieve customers by playing the "same interface" game.

That's my take as an ex Mori Seiki employee.

The story I got from a DTL employee was that it was almost a leverage game. Mori wanted more access to the inner workings of the control, so they could expand on their networking, FMS, and own front end. Fanuc didn't want to give it up, so Mori found somebody that would (Mits). After proving that they weren't afraid to drop Fanuc, Fanuc loosened up a little bit. Unfortunately for Fanuc, Mori had already built a nice little relationship with Mitsubishi.

Fanuc's play in that game reminds me of the Steel Strike of 1959. Hungry for steel and unable to get it from their regular suppliers, buyers were forced to look for alternatives. They found those alternatives in the form of imported steel, and the domestic steel industry never recovered.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The funny thing about that is once FANUC came out with the OPEN CNC controls (160i, 180i, 210i Series Controls), they had all the configuration possibilities they needed. I suggested they migrate to the OPEN CNC configurations but was quickly rebuffed. This was around the time of DTL's inception and when they were still working out of UC Davis' Mechatronic Lab.

Performance-wise, you do take a hit. Albeit, not a serious one, but you still take a hit.

Here's a real kicker for you. A lot of technology is developed at at Taxpayer Expense, yet, we pay through the nose for it. I don't get that. Several Japanese Machine Tool builders had Engineers at UC Davis, developing technology at taxpayer's expense. Though I guess one could argue that since the builders were essentially giving endowments to the universites so it may be a wash. Who knows. I thought it was interesting though.