Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Output of a Size

So, it gots me the wondering last night, would it be possible to output a literal size of a feature instead of outputting Gcode?

Persay, I have a hole that I analyze and it is 5.5" diameter. Is there a way, thru a tool path (some callout I am not currently aware of) that I could have it post a comment line (or similar) to say 'FINISHING 5.5 HOLE" or somethign of that sort? And have the "5.5" change based upon whatever hole I am cutting?

Eric/James, would all that info not be handled by mastercam already tho?

I am not very good with NCI stuff, which a new post from me will pop up here in the next few minutes...anyways, would the NCI not need to record the diameter of said circle so that it could calculate the arc of a circle mill (for example) minus the cutter size?

Output from MC is something like this;

G3 R1.5 (while using a 1" endmill, lets say)

Somewhere in there it has to know that it is cutting a 4" cicle for it to be able to give me an R of 1.5...Yes? No?

Same as Eric, just thinking out loud here.

And sadly, I dont have any MI's or MR's available frown.gif It would be an easy fix.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Eric/James, would all that info not be handled by Mastercam already tho?

So, what happens with multi passses? The radius changes. Obviously Mastercan "knows" what it's cutting, I just don't think there is a mechanism in place to capture it all besides the G-Code File. So then, where does the comment go if it automatically generates it's own comments?

Just thinking out loud what the application would be.

James,

What I am specifically looking to do is create a new Gcode within my post. I program for a Mazak Intergex e500. We do ALOT of work with highfeed cutters on this machine.

Until now I have been using Helix Bore and just using the code posted out my MCX. The other day I took the time to look into G130 (Tornado tapping, which is the same idea as a helix bore). I can generate the same response from the machine in one line of code that is currently taking up literally thousands of lines (my typical program is around 10,000 lines long or so because of the high feed cycles).

I run multiple size holes, all straight and the application would be ideal to eliminate these huge files and chop them down in ... well, quite small ones.

So all the info that is contained within the helix bore operation is extremely useful, and all relevant to the G130 that I wish to produce from it. The only hang up is the G130 requires a D (diameter of hole) to be output with it.

What you were asking about multipasses doesnt really apply for the situation I am thinking for. With said highfeed cutters I would either be solid boring (from solid machining the hole out with the highfeed cutter) or having a pre-drilled hole and opening it up to finish size (ish).

This hopefully clears up my intent, but still leaves me with the same drawback of that D value.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

^^^

That's essentially the same thing people do with creating Probe Cycles. Graphically, you only see a point. You HAVE to rely on your post output.

I bellieve a custom drill cycle is your best bet.