Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 mpmaster post and first_tool$ value

Tom Anderson

I've used the X4 Mpmaster.pst as the base for a custom post. I'm trying to get the first tool call at the end of the file, but this machine does not support staging tools.

So, I have:

> Control Def. "enable stage tool routines" = off

> this line in peof = pbld, n$, first_tool$, protretinc, e$

I get NO first tool output. If I force first tool(*first_tool$) I get T0 . If I turn on tool staging in the control def, I get T# output at every tool change, which I can’t have.

Am I crazy(ok don't answer that), missing something here, or does mpmaster not track first_tool$ if tool staging is off?

Thanks,

Hi Tom,

When you force the "first_tool$" variable, you are getting T0, because the value of the first tool variable is "0" at that point in the posting process.

You should setup a custom variable to hold the value of "first_tool$" in the 'psof' section of the post.

Something like:

myfirsttool = first_tool$

You'll have to initialize the variable and setup a format assignment string as well.

This custom variable will hold the first tool's number as there is no other mechanism in the post to reset it's value.

HTH,

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Normally when I have a machine that does not support staged tools, I still turn on Stage Tools, but then I remove the next_tool$ calls, then at the end of the program I put in first_tool$, "M6", e$ and it does what I need.

HTH

Thanks guys. I finally got the output, using James' suggestion was easiest way.

In the process I did some more searching/testing and found this. Since it is different then pre-X versions it had me confused. confused.gif Thought I'd pass it along for others.

The "enable staged tool routines" checkbox in the CDef = bldnxtool$ used in pre-X posts. So, if bldnxtool$ = 0, first_tool$ & next_tool$ is not assigned a value. Then, when bldnxtool$ = 0,forcing *first_tool$ produces the T0.

It's just onther one of those things that was moved from the .pst to the MDef/CDef, but not named the same, so ya have figure what it is.

Recommended reference McamX4 NCI Parameter Ref.pdf !!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...It's just onther one of those things that was moved from the .pst to the MDef/CDef, but not named the same, so ya have figure what it is.

Oh joy... I just love those. 8-/

Always glad to help. cheers.gif

quote:

I finally got the output, using James' suggestion was easiest way.

That's the way I have mine set up also. I put a forced M0 at the beginning of the program with a note alerting the operator what tool should be in the spindle because on the Fanuc controllers the tool changer goes wacko if you have an M6 with the same tool that's in the spindle.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

john316, on some machines the M6 error if the same tool is in the spindle is a Keep Relay setting (On older Mori Seiki machines), or Data Bits. You shoudl be able to change that behaviour.

HTH