Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using Solids

Reko

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, in fact, this is my first post.

I just got hired as the main programmer in a new company. I've been running CNC's for about 25 years and programming for myself using CAD/CAM for about 15.

I have programmed with MC for about 10 years using complex contours for Mills and Lathes and I have done some work with surfaces (not a lot) but I have never used FBM or worked with solids.

Would it be worth it to take the time to learn?

I appreciate any feedback you guys could help me with.

:>)

Yes, I've been using MC since ver 7, I just took the MasterCam U online Mill Design and Tool path course and I could not believe all the features I was not using. I am going to take the next Advance course soon. The course are only $250. For a 3 month subscription to the course material.

Now FBM I don't like it. It adds way to much time to the cycle and you have to pend a lot time tweeking to get it right. That's just my preference.

Good luck.

Absolutely go for the solids. I also began using Mastercam at V7and I've had the solids option just to work with some of the files sent to me for a few years. When things began to slow down at our shop I decided I had some time to play with using solids and what an eye-opener that was. Within a day or two I was able to do more with solids in less time than I ever imagined. I'm still smacking myself for not trying it sooner. I don't use the FBM, but I still get a large toolpath advantage from using solids due to the fact that I can edit the wireframe geometry used for the solid creation, regenerate the solid, then regenerate the toolpath based on the solid very quickly if needed.

Also if you aren't doing it already, work with your WCS. Combined with solids, the WCS kicks major tail. Instead of drawing three or more wireframe views, you'll be creating a single solid that includes all features for any view you might possibly want, then you just pick or create your viewpoint and origin and knock out the paths. Also also handy with this method is that you can verify multiple setups and come out with a complete part on your verify screen.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Welcome to the forum Reko cheers.gif

Here's a little project I worked on last night. Took me maybe three hours to draw in soilds and toolpath completely. Too bad I don't know anything about gear design or it would have been faster I'm sure! Suitable for my model helicopter anyway.

42DEGREEGEARS.jpg

yankee your right I do almost everything in solids and I just started using the WCS manager to set up my parts, I was moving the part for each operation. It also makes it easy to verify by using the material as my last operations STL file. I learned all this with MasterCam University online course.

Question:

Are you guys saying that creating programs from solid models is superior to creating them from surfaces?

Easier?

Faster?

Just curious. My boss has just bought the top MC package and I'm sure it has solids. That is why I was asking if I should take the time to learn it.

It sounds like it is, but any additional feedback you guys can give me is much appreciated.

I'm 99% sure that I'll take the online MC solids class.

Thanks again, for all suggestions and help.

I'm pretty pumped up about learning MX4, solids, and everything else that will make my life easier when programming.

THX!

Yes. Easier, faster and better all around.

After using wireframes and surfaces for years I tried the solids and within a few days goofing with it on my own I was making complete geometry MUCH faster than I was able to make the partial wireframe geometry I had been using for my toolpaths.

Until you do it, you won't believe how much easier and faster you can draw what you need and your boss will be happy to see you using the features he paid for.

Somebody else chime in on this please. I'm starting to look like some sort of fanboy here. wink.gif

Ok. IMO. Yes, solids are the way to go, but don't neglect the sufaces just yet. Sometimes creating a few surfaces is all you need. Sometimes, surfaces is all you can use. On occasion I'll create surfaces just to produce edge geo that I need for a solid, or turn the surfaces into a solid for Boolean removal or add. If I think I'm going to run into the slightest problems, I'll do it in Solidworks 1st. Also, surfaces for checks are often needed.

I often use a combo of both in MC.