Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Speed/Feed recommendation for Iscar Cut Grip

Thad

I've got to cut an internal groove, like the thin groove in this pic. 1401.gif I'm using this type of tool. Actual model number is GEHIR 15.9-13-3. The insert is .106 wide. It will be done on a vertical mill with a pocket cycle that spirals out from the center. Material is hot rolled steel (soft machine steel). The tool will only be sticking out 1", with the actual depth of the slot is .080.

The insert (GEPI) looks like a facing insert that I've used on a manual lathe years ago. I've never used one of these tools for this type of application before. Does anyone have any recommendations for speeds and feeds?

Thad

In a lathe I would run that tool at 400SFM around .004 IPR; what you're trying to do sounds a little iffy at that speed and feed but, most likely, the worst thing that can happen is that the insert blows up. I'd use 2X the "f" or "f1" dimension as the tool diameter for your RPM calculation and go easy on the radial DOC and feedrate.