Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-axis helix question

Code_Breaker

I am making an o-ring groove .250 wide x .250 deep with a 2.0" diameter on a 5-aix type of surface keeping it normal to the surface with a 2 deg lead ...

I want to ramp or helix with a full final pass a depth (like the one in 2D contour)

Which multi-axis tool is best ... Curve 5 axis, swarf 5 axis, etc.

Thanks

For example:

Draw a 2" circle ... using 2D toolpath 'contour' under 'cut parameters' select 'contour type' choose 'ramp' ... under 'ramp motion" select 'depth' using 'ramp depth' .050 and check 'make pass at final depth" (which is .200 deep)

Now ... do this with 5 axis ...

tried gcode way but could not get it to work ...

Curve or Multisurf is probably going to be your best bet. Swarf is more for walls that you are finishing paralell to the tool. I don't think that curve does ramp, and I am positive that multisurf doesn't. What about 2 seperate operations? A rough and a finish pass to depth with multisurf or even a 5ax flow?

Thanks Jesse,

I took your file, changed the drive surface to a flat boundary surface ... rotate both the surface and geometry -10 degrees (just to give it more 'eye-definition') , changed drive surface offset on "surface Paths" tab to zero (it would take -.200 for some reason), changed theh depth of cut under "roughing" tab to

number 2

spacing .1

left everything the same

changed Tool axis will under tool axis control to "be tilted relative to cutting direction" lead 2 degrees

changed to 1/4 bull nose .031 rad ..

and now I have exactly what I was looking for ...

save back to FTP as 5AXMSURFRAMP-2.MCX under X4 files

Thanks again

cheers.gif

cheers.gif

cheers.gif