Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-Axis TCPM for Turning

Watcher

Hi folks,

I´m moving on to a new job where among other things I´ll be in charge of the CAM support for some WFL machines. I know these machines superficially and I´m a bit versed in multitasking machines, however I was watching some videos on YouTube and bumped into something new: at the 3´12" of the video the turning tool employs some sorf of TCPM to profile the OD... I know a little bit of Sinumerik programming style, but never saw this before...

Does anyone here have experience with this or knows if this is programmed via CAM systems or if it is a CNC functionality, as Sinumerik tool manager allows the definition of the tool shape so that the control can calculate the tool positions within desired allowances in the rear/front side of the tool. I wonder if there is a cycle to define such allowances...

I wish I could split the video but I´m out of resources now... looks like you´ll have to fast forward the video till the positin 3`12" where this particularly functionality is shown... sorry...

WFL - TCPM Turning?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

quote:

It has to be a function in the machine.

It could be, but a number of other CAM systems already support this type of operation (FeatureCAM, PartMaker, Gibbs to name a few).

No surprise with FeatureCAM and Partmaker as to be honest, I'd expect Delcam to have good support for this machine seeing as they have one.

http://www.delcam.com/news/press_article.asp?releaseId=465

Yes, I thought a little more and realized that although Pro/NC does not support it as a specific functionality such as B axis contouring in ESPRIT, I guess I can make a 5 axis contour using along a curve locking the Y axis and then set a post to output the XYZIJK coordinates/vectors without any transformation and the control can apply the dynamic TCP... nice!

Thank you pilot!

That is just a bad simulation. You would never do something like this with that type of a tool. Having it dwell in one place while you pitch the head around is just going to cause all type of problems. That tool is the correct place would do the id and the tool for the Id would be the best approach sorry, but IMHO that is a bad example.

HELLO,

WFL has this ability. To move the B axis while maintaining tool contact in cut. They are always monitoring tip position whether you are in cut or not. if you position the b axis at 45deg then face the part using G41 or G42 then position the tool at 35 deg to face the same feature the machine will calculate the tip on problem. You also can just program the b axis to move will in cut. from the 45 to 35 deg.

This is really neat to watch but in the three years since our first WFL we only employ this method once or twice. this feature is designed to take light cuts and be careful of your feed your b axis is now moving by your feed command.